Notices

Superstorm Sandy

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Superstorm Sandy

Hey everyone. For those i havent spoken to recently here's a little clip as to why. my home was hammered pretty good due to this storm and im still in a hotel doing battle with both my flood ins co and my home owners co as well as rallying the town to battle FEMA's improper mapping and zoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XME0...yC1YMkNvuDUDN2

hope all is well with everyone.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Hey everyone. For those i havent spoken to recently here's a little clip as to why. my home was hammered pretty good due to this storm and im still in a hotel doing battle with both my flood ins co and my home owners co as well as rallying the town to battle FEMA's improper mapping and zoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XME0...yC1YMkNvuDUDN2

hope all is well with everyone.
Watched it very informative, and as a Jersey resident, it is very interesting...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry you are having this battle. SWMBO says to me, "why did I let the agent use two different companies write our flood ins and homeowners policies?" She explained, "They will do that so that when we have a claim that involves both flood and wind damage, they can point to each other and say""They should pay""!!!!!!". Explaining further, "that if one company writes both, then whom do they point to other than themselves as the loss payee." So, I have to report back to the agent to do what it takes to get both policies written by the same company. end of sentence. It cost me more, but then there is no more "It's His Fault!!!! as the two agents point to each other." SWMBO be smart.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

We stayed in our house that night in Mystic Islands and just before the storm hit and the last few people evacuated I mad a statement that fortunately I LIVED to regret I said im not leaving I have never seen a house lost to a storm here in Mystic. We had over 4 feet of water that night in our house it washed out the front wall and the waves crashed thru the front door, Every thing we had was lost including my bright idea to get a giant rental truck and load it with our stuff and just incase the water got bad It would be high enuff for us to leave in!!! Well FML the truck floated away with all the stuff we tried to save, The next morning I walked into what was left of the downstairs of my house and i remember it like it was yesterday It looked like a bomb went off, But we were alive and lucky to have survived, Earlier that night I spoke to people screaming for help on the VHF radio that were trapped by rising waters in there attic and we watched 3 houses burn right down to the waterline from gas leaks, I remember calling Bernie the next morning and asking him for a dempster and I could here it in his voice he wanted to help but he like the rest of us was in shock, Now the tide is gone and we are all stuck dealing with loads of paperwork fighting with local goverment agancies and insurance companies that only care about there bottom line. Fema came into our town about 3 days after the storm and although a goverment run agency they have been very helpful atleast to me and my family. Im not sure why im going on with this rant other then to say were all in this together down the shore and some how some way it will get rebuilt and we can all sit around our docks again some night and remember why we love where we live so much. Keep your heads up Bernie and Tim

Mike O
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Very well put together video.

I am a consultant that worked on 50 plus claims from Long Island to Atlantic City. I have never seen damage as bad as the barrier island in Brick Township, it was humbling, to say the least.

I was in New York and New Jersey for over 2 months. During that time, I met so many wonderful people.

With regards to insurance companies and adjusters. Adjusters don't care what gets paid out on claims, they just have to abide by the policy coverages.

For all people living next to or close to the water I would recommend that you get a quote for homeowners and flood, through Chartis Private Client Group. To date, not inclusive of the NFIP, all the claims that I have worked on, CPG has covered them all, including hardscapes.

Last edited by Snoworks; 02-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Snoworks,
Do you have a contact # for the Chartis Group?

Although adjusters are supposed to abide by the Policies, I'd beg to differ. I had 4' of flooding in my house and had contents insurance for $11,000. , My adjuster offered me $819.00 for all the contents of my house-3 bedrooms, living room, entertaiment center TV, washer, dryer, etc... This is RAPE! I was also offered less than 1/2 of what it will cost to rebuild my house-so much for having a "replacement value policy". This is why I may be interested in comtacting Chartis.
Still homeless 3+ months later, and no end in sight....
Bob G

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 02-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Registered

just got my check yesterday i get to rebuild my house for 45000....tear down put on stilts and totally redo.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 4+ ft of water in my house as well and still going on and on with the flood and home owners ,,they want your money when your policy is due but when something happens they are real slow to pay out..My house is totally gutted out and the foundation has shifted ,need to raise the house to fix it ,,just got a quote to raise 30K + the foundation work another 35K ,Then I can start to to rebuild 200K for the house,,i might as well knock it down and build new ,,,Dont know what to do,,would like to walk away and keep the ins money but u cant,,The battle goes on////////////////////
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Another sad fact, I have to maintain flood Insurance and Home owners Insurance on a house that is "uninhabitable". More money down the drain...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Snoworks,
Do you have a contact # for the Chartis Group?

Although adjusters are supposed to abide by the Policies, I'd beg to differ. I had 4' of flooding in my house and had contents insurance for $11,000. , My adjuster offered me $819.00 for all the contents of my house-3 bedrooms, living room, entertaiment center TV, washer, dryer, etc... This is RAPE! I was also offered less than 1/2 of what it will cost to rebuild my house-so much for having a "replacement value policy". This is why I may be interested in comtacting Chartis.
Still homeless 3+ months later, and no end in sight....
Bob G
Chartis Private Client Group should be available through most adjusters, if not all, upon request. There premiums are high, but they pay. The cream of the crop homeowners coverage used to be through Cubb, now its CPG. They even cover hardscapes, which until this event, I did not think any insurance companies covered. Every loss that I worked on had CPG coverage. Some did not have additional flood coverage, so part of the claim was not covered, but anyone that had additional flood coverage is getting paid what it takes to build their home back to "like-kind" and "Quality".

I am a building consultant and hardly ever get asked to deal with contents. From what I have gathered about contents is, if you have good records of what you have purchased and or video of what was in the house, its hard for them to argue the replacment value.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.