Notices

Running vs Scrubbing

Old 07-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive always been pretty anal about cleaning my boat but now I wont even lift the engine hatch unless theres really something wrong. Its called plausable deniability.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Registered

Too Old. I am worse than you I kept my bilge as clean also. I spend a good deal of time cleaning after now. I found it counterproductive to clean before. Anyways, if it was cleaned after it should not need to be cleaned before. Unless it was used after Which means it was not cleaned before Which means.......................
Old 07-21-2002, 12:30 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Spot clean on Friday, use on Saturday, and spend all day detailing on Sunday. Oh.......the 13 footer is so much easier

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Intolerant1

My wife is out of control with cleaning and organizing things in the boat. It does make for a well organized setup though. WE usually clean on the inside water. A rag and spray bottle keep it shiny. The outside gets wiped down whenever anchored in shallow water. Every time I bring my boat home it has to get washed before going to the farm where we store it. I have several big maples that leak sap all summer. The upside is that the sap makes for damn good waterproofing on my cockpit cover.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize my situation may be different (Hydrohoist). The first year I owned the boat was a huge problem keeping it clean I would arrive at the marina to find bird crap and coal dust all over my new boat Spent at least two hours cleaning the boat before we would go anywhere. I also was harrased by my friends waiting to leave, big time pressure!
Last year I bought a full mooring cover best thing I've done. We get to the boat and pull the cover off spot clean a couple spots with Quick clean marine and I'm out of there
I do a major wash down about once a month compared to every week. Soooo point of the story buy a full mooring cover its worth every penny and then some!
Old 07-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Intolerant1

I agree. Also have a full cover. Its a pain taking it on and off but you save hours in cleaning time plus the gelcoat protection. I had a hard time with mine at first figuring out the front from back when getting it on. I took a marker and put arrows facing forward and marked port / starboard on the inside edge.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Gumbydammit

Wow.....Too Old, I think you would have a pretty motor with a bit of crap from the hunk of crud in the oiling system.... heh

Ted, you are sick puppy.

Mitch....... they have good medications for OCD now

I think that people all do things differently for sure. Interesting points of view!

As far as MECHANICAL....... Amsoil changed often is a must.

I am amazed though.....most of the "anal-fanatic-OCD detail" guys I know put that **** dinosaur sludge oil that Merc sells in thier boat. They say it is "factory."

Synthetic...good synthetic is key to a happy motor.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Registered

For my Donzi I had a transport cover. Felt on the inside and heavy vinyl on the outside. It was from a new 33 and the jerks left it at the dealer. It was in a wad on the floor so he said take it home. It covered the boat right to the waterline. Kept it as clean as it was left. AND I AM NOT SICK. just a little anal about clean. There are very few who can keep up with me on this subject. Everything I own is cleaner than new.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:07 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I'm a slob in the house but on board, it has to be perfect.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:25 AM
Registered

I say it's definitely worth it to keep your boat as clean as you possibly can. My last boat I was meticulous about keeping it clean and after 4 years of owning it, and driving it many hours, I sold it for $500 less than I paid for it. Everyone that came and looked at it said it was the cleanest boat in that price range that they had seen. It was a 93 and many times at the docks and launch ramps I was asked if I had just bought it new. All the sweat is very well worth it in the ROI.

Ted