Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative >

Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative

Notices

Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
No extra fee's the first guy to the card stop pays for the chopper.
Best idea yet!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I know about PokerRuns could be writ in a matchbook cover with magic marker, but to the extent they have killed offshore racing in America, and are a 'racing substitute' without the spartan boats, bureaucracy and thick rulebooks, orange helmets, etc. ..

Why not let the market decide the mix of boats and classes FPB wants in their races? SOME class of boats WILL be subsidised, and, frankly, the tears of the multi-multis whining about a few passenger restrictions and $250 ... taste like Skittles.

OTOH, if you want to run-what-you-brung from London to Montercarlo in 2014, it ain't quite that simple: http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...12.2011%20.pdf
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xconn92
Nobody in the backseat at speeds over 110mph? Where do you think all the hot chicks sit? In a big cat you have the driver, his throttleman and the back seat is typically filled with at least one or two hotties. Jim Lee being the exception as his boat has hotties everywhere.

So basically an FPC run is now a huge sausagefest?

Ha ha. Classic.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goatskin
What I know about PokerRuns could be writ in a matchbook cover with magic marker, but to the extent they have killed offshore racing in America, and are a 'racing substitute' without the spartan boats, bureaucracy and thick rulebooks, orange helmets, etc. ..

Why not let the market decide the mix of boats and classes FPB wants in their races? SOME class of boats WILL be subsidised, and, frankly, the tears of the multi-multis whining about a few passenger restrictions and $250 ... taste like Skittles.

OTOH, if you want to run-what-you-brung from London to Montercarlo in 2014, it ain't quite that simple: http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...12.2011%20.pdf
The poker runs aren't races. There is no advantage to running fast because first finish may not have the winning hand.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why we need professional rescue and medical personnel involved.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f09_1346454177

This could have been much worse. No jackets and no kill switch/lanyard. Think about this at 100 MPH...sobering.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
The poker runs aren't races. There is no advantage to running fast because first finish may not have the winning hand.
+1

Somewhere along the lines in boats they became races. Bikes they are still just a nice cruise and to benefit a charity. I do like the ideas of FMO and the fun runs. Whenever something gets turned into a business and is profitable for someone prices go up and so do rules.

I love fast boats. Mine isn't as fast as I would like but I'm not wealthy and work hard to keep her going. I get the idea of airing your boat out but to do so in a crowded area at prime times such as weekends isn't always the smartest thing. I do poker runs on my bike and would love to do one on my boat but these prices make it impossible.

Some people have their boats specifically for the runs, I have mine to enjoy as often as possible. I don't have a race boat and that's what's happening. These runs are turning into races and all races have rules and sanctions. Look at what happened to UFC when it went mainstream. More money involved means more rules. The UFC you see today is not what it was when it started.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Those over 100 mph can pay a little more....
Those making over $xxxxxx an pay a little more...

Obama's boat club???
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Those over 100 mph can pay a little more....
Those making over $xxxxxx an pay a little more...

Obama's boat club???
I'm not saying anybody should pay more. Entry fees should remain same for everyone however it won't happen as it has went from a few guys having a good cruise to benefit a charity to a full on race basically. That is what is making the changes. If these guys wanna race join the sbi or opa or one of those.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbh
i don't see how the extra fee can be good for the event turnouts. The last five or six years we have been going to fpb events. Last few years we have done jax, destin, kw, now it appears that if you have a boat over 110 (and we do) no one in the back seat. So do i leave my daughter. Wife or my friends at home, how about we leave the boat at home! The cost for jax this year will be 650+250+100 for three people, we usually bring five people. Last year at destin we had about five in our fountain and i don't think we ever ran 80 mph all week. The cost $$ is really taken the fun out of it, like several have brought up it may be time to go back to the smaller events. Just my 2 cents.
x2 rb
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
This is why we need professional rescue and medical personnel involved.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f09_1346454177

This could have been much worse. No jackets and no kill switch/lanyard. Think about this at 100 MPH...sobering.
Agreed but if the chopper is 30 miles away at the front of the pack and this occurs then those in the water with head injuries are dead before the chopper gets the call! The chopper and rescue drivers might make the insurance company feel good but is a long shot at best. KW races last year had multiple choppers with rescue personnel aboard with plenty of backup in boats and 3 people still died.

Those divers are going to wait for the Coast Guard to pick up the person anyway, no R44 is going to be used to transport injured people. This fee being pitched as a safety backup plan is simply ridiculous..... I wouldn't want to lay any odds of the diver being able to find the injured person in time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.