Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   God Da*% Muther*&%$^ Low Water Pickup!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29192-god-da%2A%25-muther%2A-%25%24%5E-low-water-pickup.html)

Gumbydammit 07-22-2002 04:44 PM

I thought the first pump is in the boat, rather than the drive.

If this is true, you should be able to take a pump and make it reverse the flow, clearing out whatever crud got in there. (Yes reverse the water direction hard and fast to clear the obstruction.)

Even if you had to use a one way valve and an alternate water source, it would not be too hard to rig up.

Is there an impeller in the drive on these or is it in the engine compartment somewhere?? (I was told it was in the motor compartment)

Don't forget, if it works, the royalties are mine! :eek:

rjcardinal 07-22-2002 05:08 PM

The sea pump is belt driven off the engine. The problem with using it to back flush the system is that as soon as you clog the system you starve the pump for water and it burns the impeller up. If you catch the problem quick enough I think you can take a couple of hoses off and shake out the sand and then be on your way.

Ron

Julio 07-22-2002 06:51 PM

low water pick up

Ron, I too have the low water pick up on my Powerquest, but I do have a sea strainer. I've been in mud and sand several times with the boat and so far have not had any problems.
Maybe it is just dumb luck. As you know with the other boat that I had (the Mariah) it had a Volvo/Penta out drive with a low water pick up. I managed to burn up that engine way out in the Gulf of Mexico when it sucked up lots of sand (no warning buzzer). Any way, wish you could have made the trip. By the way, don't pay any attention to JMeng (LJ). I WAS NOT DRUNK, I WAS JUST DRINKING!!!!!!!:)

jmeng 07-22-2002 07:33 PM

Julio
Seems like I've heard that somewhere before:rolleyes: Shoot me an email, I don't have your address. Heard a couple of rumors about you I wanted to clear up.:D

hirschy77 07-22-2002 07:37 PM

Had the same problem 2 weeks ago, luckily called mech from boat to guide me through it---ended up that sand , rocks and mud packed to the gills---he ordered me new lower with dual pickups and took mine on trade --cost---1200.00--hope this solves further problems.

John B 07-22-2002 11:15 PM

Just a thought. How about drilling holes in the side of a lwp/u drive to simulate the dual water pickup. Location and direction are important, and bondo is cheap if they need reworking.

Waterfoul 07-22-2002 11:23 PM

John B, I've brought this up twice in this thread and NO ONE has said anything. I KNOW that the proper location can be determined, and that the case at that point is just a hollow water passage. Directional drilling a couple of holes on each side seems like a viable solution.

Bulldog 07-23-2002 12:02 AM

I thought of the same idea Gumby posted- What about an electric pump with a tee in the line to backflush the inlet side of the seawater pump? The electric pump could be a freshwater supply pump, with a separate water pickup.

If you had a block valve mounted between the tee and the inlet, the electric pump could also work as an emergency seawater pump.

Scott 07-23-2002 08:01 AM

Before you go making radical changes to your boat I would call the dealer or factory and find out why they are not using the transom mount pickups. Like some one else said in this thread some hulls have way too much air back there for efficient cooling.I would also think that the transom mount pick ups mounted in the wrong spot could screw up the water to your prop and also cost you a good mile or two on your top speed:eek:
I thought the low water pickups were to help us get water to the motor. Add a strainer problem solved:)

beerock 07-23-2002 11:08 PM

In my opinion ALL pick ups on out drives are CRAP!!!!!!!!

do you see asd6 drives with water pick ups?
they use the transom mounted pickups.....

the benefits outweigh the cons......

if you do run aground you dont have to worry about shoving sand in your motor because the pickup is about 2-3 feet above the bottom of the drive........

If there is a problem with step hulls then I think a pipe type transom pick up would work.If any of you have used a remote control boat you know what im talking about.....

if you dont have a step hull get the transom pick up.....

I solved all my problems when I installed mine this past week.