A picture says a thousand words... LOL >

A picture says a thousand words... LOL

Notices

A picture says a thousand words... LOL

Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
You obviously don't get it. This thread started by you intimated these guys were operating their boats in a competitive way. The implication was then followed on by many that further implied there was competition on the poker run.

REALITY; Tony, Dave and the owners cruised comfortably all the way to destination and never encountered the Skater at all because it wasn't even on the run. Safe proper running was the goal of the day and that is what they did. They were not there to prove anything or compete with anyone.
First to the docks...

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Regardless of its humor/ironic intent, this thread became a "which boat was fastest" discussion. Given that the image came from a poker run, the discussion is irrelevant. (Come to think of it, given the event's 150-mph speed limit there were a lot of "fastest" boats involved. Question answered!)

While my less-than-glowing take on this discussion is no secret, the discussion itself is neither tragic nor disastrous. With all due respect to Double RR, the insurance people who read these threads are most likely insurers currently involved with go-fast boats and go-fast boat events. As such, they know that a bunch of guys talking on a message board is ... a bunch of guys talking on a message board. I can't see an insurer changing policy based on a message board thread, much less calling one of his clients and saying, "Hey, Imanidiot on offshoreonly.com says your cat ran 200 mph at a poker run, so we're dropping you."

Two relevant, if slightly tangential, facts:

1. If an accident happens during a Florida Powerboat Club poker run, its business is at risk.
2. If an accident happens during a Florida Powerboat Club poker run and it is determined that the parties involved were violating the club's rules/insurance guidelines, its business is gone.

Now, the Florida Powerboat Club is a business. You and I don't have to care about it. If you don't like its rules, walk. Vote with your wallet. Let the market decide. But if you want to play in the club, you have to play by its rules.

All of which has nothing to do with the picture that started this thread. Yes, as my friend River Dave pointed out, a picture is worth a thousand words. But to fill in content based exclusively on a picture leads to erroneous conclusions, as it did in this case.

You want to know which high-performance pleasure boats are fastest. So do Jason Johnson and I. So here's what I'd like to see: all of them showing up to the 2013 Lake of the Ozarks Shootout. The shootout is a top speed event—and it basically splits the geographical distance between the East and West Coast.

Of course, no such event is without risk but at least the shootout (and I know people bicker about this) happens in a controlled environment. And in that environment, at that event, the question of "which boat is fastest" is most definitely worth answering.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 02-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

I have heard that most of these insurance companies do not cover poker runs, fun runs, racing, shootouts etc. what do they cover?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Polonzapie
I have heard that most of these insurance companies do not cover poker runs, fun runs, racing, shootouts etc. what do they cover?
Most insurance policies do in fact insure during a poker run, but not during any kind of racing.. I.E. shoot outs, timed events etc..

Info courtesy of my wife Stacy Johnson from Wozencraft Insurance, insuring everything from Fast Flats to 200+mph Cats! 760-651-BOAT <------ did you see that? That's what's called funny spam..
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

I like that there are Poker runs.
I like that there is some hot chick at the end, like in that picture holding the cards of the Winners, so we can stare at her and who knows maybe she's single or available or both

I like that there are events that my boat might beat ASS on other boats and make them feel worse and Crush Their Dreams and realize my boat's Superiority...but knowing there are plenty of boats, cats, and Space Ships that can beat mine, which is cool too. Got to have dreams...

Know Your Role! Have Fun! Get More Hot Chicks On The Deck, with EVEN SMALLER BIKINIS! POST PICS!!!

ps: WTF am I still doing in Wisconsin...at least Lake Michigan is big and allows the 42 Fountain to open up...better to Rule in Hell, than to Serve in Heaven?? LOL

Last edited by xwing; 02-28-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Regardless of its humor/ironic intent, this thread became a "which boat was fastest" discussion. Given that the image came from a poker run, the discussion is irrelevant. (Come to think of it, given the event's 150-mph speed limit there were a lot of "fastest" boats involved. Question answered!)
I don't necessarily agree that this thread became which boat was fastest, especially given the 2nd portion of that quote involving speed limits etc..

It was just a little humor from a West Coast guy to the East Coast OSO Boyz on a photo.. Yes the premise of the joke was in fact that DCB was way out in front..

But that would be like saying every "Your momma joke" is actually about "Your momma." Which obviously isn't the case. Which is how I feel about this thread. I feel people tried to take my momma joke, and actually make it about momma?

While my less-than-glowing take on this discussion is no secret, the discussion itself is neither tragic nor disastrous. With all due respect to Double RR, the insurance people who read these threads are most likely insurers currently involved with go-fast boats and go-fast boat events. As such, they know that a bunch of guys talking on a message board is ... a bunch of guys talking on a message board. I can't see an insurer changing policy based on a message board thread, much less calling one of his clients and saying, "Hey, Imanidiot on offshoreonly.com says your cat ran 200 mph at a poker run, so we're dropping you."
Yes and No.. If you have gone above and beyond and claimed your boat goes 85 mph, then post pics of it doing 100+ mph on OSO and they see it, they will absolutely drop you like a Hot potato. That being said if you are even close to honest about the capabilities of the boat, then you will have "real" insurance that wouldn't get denied in the event of a claim anyways..

That's correct, if you have a boat that does 160, and you claim 120, and there is a fatalitiy or anything that is going to raise the claims to the million dollar range.. The boat will be examined by experts, and if you lied, they WILL just give you back your money. Now you might ask "What experts?" Pretty much anyone that has a big name in the marine performance world does side work as "expert witnesses." 1/2 the time it's the dude that built your motor etc..

Two relevant, if slightly tangential, facts:

1. If an accident happens during a Florida Powerboat Club poker run, its business is at risk.
2. If an accident happens during a Florida Powerboat Club poker run and it is determined that the parties involved were violating the club's rules/insurance guidelines, its business is gone.
I would disagree on this depending on the instance. If the parties involved were clearly violating the clubs rules/insurance, and the rules were clearly stated to the participants and communicated thoroughly to the participants and the waivers were signed by the participants.. Well then in "theory" the participants of said event are more or less on their own.

What would realistically end up happening is in the event of an incident where it was found that the participants were in clear violation of the guidelines of the event, the event insurer would probably deny the claim, and the boat owners insurance and the event insurer would probably end up in a court battle deciding who is gonna be the loser on the payout. The event insurer will have a strong foot hold right off the bat with signed documentation, the boat owners insurance will pull the ole "Poker runs are thinly veiled races card" etc.. etc..

I am not an expert on the subject by any means, but I know when we put on our event, we explained the rules very clearly, we video taped the rules being displayed to the drivers. We had a copy of every persons insurance, we had a signed waiver from every single person in a boat that day passenger or driver, etc. etc.. No matter what, I felt we were pretty well taken care of "personally" form a liability stand point between our insurance, and the boaters insurance. The only other thing I could've done was possibly start an LLC in NV, and then ran the event through that, which is what I'll probably do if we do another.

Again I'm no expert, and don't claim to be one. It would always be best to consult with a professional insurance agent to discuss you're needs, and potential hypothetical situations that could arise during the course of your event.
(spam in 5,4,3,2....)
Devin Wozencraft of Wozencraft insurance would be happy to answer any questions on the subject, and is ready to quote and protect you and your event today! http://wozencraftinsurance.com/site/ Operators are standing by. <---- serious Spam with a funny quip at the end?

All of which has nothing to do with the picture that started this thread. Yes, as my friend River Dave pointed out, a picture is worth a thousand words. But to fill in content based exclusively on a picture leads to erroneous conclusions, as it did in this case.
I dunno.. I'm gonna go back with the your momma jokes defense on this one. I seriously wasn't drawing any conclusions, and I don't think anybody else was either.. Was just a little ribbing is what I was doing. I have very little doubt that Pure Platinum would absolutely put the screws to the M41, along with a host of other Skaters and MTI's etc.. Power to Power though in smoother conditions I think it'd give them all a run for the money, and overall for "Pleasure" I think it's a better boat then most.

There now I said something serious.

You want to know which high-performance pleasure boats are fastest. So do Jason Johnson and I. So here's what I'd like to see: all of them showing up to the 2013 Lake of the Ozarks Shootout. The shootout is a top speed event—and it basically splits the geographical distance between the East and West Coast.

Of course, no such event is without risk but at least the shootout (and I know people bicker about this) happens in a controlled environment. And in that environment, at that event, the question of "which boat is fastest" is most definitely worth answering.
Well said.

RD
Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverDave
I would disagree on this depending on the instance. If the parties involved were clearly violating the clubs rules/insurance, and the rules were clearly stated to the participants and communicated thoroughly to the participants and the waivers were signed by the participants.. Well then in "theory" the participants of said event are more or less on their own.
They shut down Smoke on the Water pretty quick, I don't think they'd hesitate here either.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
They shut down Smoke on the Water pretty quick, I don't think they'd hesitate here either.
That's the reason I said "instance per instance." Nobody knows all the details of that deal but the event promoter and insurance companies. Awhile back he contacted me regarding the desert storm posts but I unfortunately was so busy at the time with other work I never did get back with him. I would like to talk to him more about it in the future at some point.

RD
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Bench racing at is finest.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Outdrive1
Bench racing at is finest.
I beat this guy, and he was faster than that guy, which technically means I am faster than him, since he lost to you....