Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Adding A/C but dont have shore power...?? >

Adding A/C but dont have shore power...??

Notices

Adding A/C but dont have shore power...??

Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Adding A/C but dont have shore power...??

My Mistress does not have shorepower, I want to add a/c is there easy way to run it off extension cord until I add the shore power setup? I may or may not have the money to do it all at once...

what are decent affordable units to add A/C and heat?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep your eyes open for a 5K~6K BTU "Take Our from a Salvage "donor" boat. Cruise Air units are very popular and parts are plentiful. Most of these are reverse cycle units and don't heat very well if the circulating water temperature is below 50*. They will give you about a 10* temp differential between air out put and the ambient circulating water. You may also be able to snag an electrical AC-DC Shore panel from a donor boat as well. If you are handy with wiring or have an electrician in your entourage then you are good to go.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can do any kind of wiring myself as the install of the unit, I was thinking of gpoing new for the warranty, not sure if used is worth the savings or not...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

http://boatwiringstore.com/boat-wiring/ac/

done wrong, water and electricity can phuck some stuff up. Its all quite shocking actually and not that expensive or difficult to do it right....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one I have had on 2 different boats: Mermaid 5200 Looks like about $1200 for ac and $1375 for ac/reverse heat. You have to get the installation kit. I did find all this on Craigslist 3 years ago for my other boat.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I can do any kind of wiring myself as the install of the unit, I was thinking of gpoing new for the warranty, not sure if used is worth the savings or not...
I know what you mean..however I deal with mechanical systems for a living. In the Marine A/C business, if the unit only a year or two old and holds pressure you really don't have a lot of exposure. I am looking for that type of deal for mine and I have seen them for less than $1000 complete with controls, pump,etc. The same unit new will run $3~ $4K and if you don't have a factory authorized shop install it your going to have a fight on your hands if you do have an issue. Marine A/C mechanics get $100/hr down here and you can count on at least a 8~12 hour job which gets you to $5K fast. You are in a prolific boating area as I am...look around at what is available, talk to a few guys there and get a feel for it so you can develop a level of comfort.

I replaced the salon unit in my 40' EC Sea Ray with a 2 year old unit and it ran great for 5 years and as far as I know still is.

I am also considering a small Generator for mine. The bilge in my 255 was built to handle TRS set ups and there is enough room in the front of my bilge for a 3KW unit. How is yours set up? Was A/C w/Gen an option?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great Idea ! two hot babes and two coolers full of ice cold Miller Light ------ No need for shore power!!!!

Jim
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sprink58
I know what you mean..however I deal with mechanical systems for a living. In the Marine A/C business, if the unit only a year or two old and holds pressure you really don't have a lot of exposure. I am looking for that type of deal for mine and I have seen them for less than $1000 complete with controls, pump,etc. The same unit new will run $3~ $4K and if you don't have a factory authorized shop install it your going to have a fight on your hands if you do have an issue. Marine A/C mechanics get $100/hr down here and you can count on at least a 8~12 hour job which gets you to $5K fast. You are in a prolific boating area as I am...look around at what is available, talk to a few guys there and get a feel for it so you can develop a level of comfort.

I replaced the salon unit in my 40' EC Sea Ray with a 2 year old unit and it ran great for 5 years and as far as I know still is.

I am also considering a small Generator for mine. The bilge in my 255 was built to handle TRS set ups and there is enough room in the front of my bilge for a 3KW unit. How is yours set up? Was A/C w/Gen an option?
I have tons of room in front of engines, like 3 ft.... I have a few freiends that are boat mechanics... so I may be able to get a take out cheap also... tossing ideas around... i wanna do it on a budget..
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by phragle
http://boatwiringstore.com/boat-wiring/ac/

done wrong, water and electricity can phuck some stuff up. Its all quite shocking actually and not that expensive or difficult to do it right....
I been running my charger off a regular cord for years... I do want to add shorepower and onboard charger to the cig, but I cant do both at same time most likely.. I am doing many projects and funds are running low...

I am just trying to see how to do it off a cord if I do the A/C now... I can add the shorepower later...sucks I have one of the few Cigs with no shorepower...
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

So...... what BTU is right for a 35 Mistress? white gel so its not that hard to cool... my budddy has a 9000 in his and he can freeze the fukkin thing, what is minimal? 6500??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.