1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!! >

1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Notices

1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Old 07-22-2002, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audiofn,
Damn, I wish I had the TSB # with me but if its a 99 there might be some issues with the tranny cooler. There's a TSB out about any time overheating is a issue there suppose to change the radiator to one with the tranny cooler in it. There's also a filter kit they are suppose to install anytime a tranny is replaced. It says in that TSB that the filter kit must be installed or the warranty is void due to junk build up if the cooler is not fully flushed. The OD light blinking means it is in limp mode and it will shift harder. If it went into limp mode that means it throws a code and they should be able to get it. If the TC isn't locking fully it shouldn't do any damage unless it overheats and breaks down the fluid which is the big tranny killer. There's really no way to tell the difference between Mercon and Mercon V by just lookin at it, but I would make sure they put regular Mercon in it when they change the TC. If they don't want to.... insist and tell them to look it up.
www.ford-diesel.com is a good site to visit to get some of these answered for you. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for a reply from the dealer as to what is up. I told them that I wanted to know the code when they pull it. As soon as they do I will post up to get your opinions on that. I wish that there was a fix to this but from what you guys are saying I am SOL. My friend said that the trany coolers in the PSD are a joke and that if they will not upgrade it to do it myself. I forgot to pull the paperwork out of the truck before I left the dealer, however I did smell the fluid and in the 400 or so miles that the truck went with the new fluid it already smelt a little burned Oh well I am hopeing for the best and expecting the worse. Thank god I purchased the warrantee!!!!

Jon
Old 07-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Registered

Code P0781- 1-2 shift error
P0782- 2-3 shift error
P1728,P1744 are Transmission component Slipping codes
that are most common with non electronic type failures like clutch slipping,TCC failure,metal contamination of shift valves that effect timing and quality.
The coolers trap alot of material from past failures that can break loose and end up in your good trans.even flushing the system is no fun and sometime inadequate! ! besides not being the best at reducing temp.Auxillery coolers are just better insurance.Also these in-line filter elements are great and must be installed on the rear cooler line for it is the return line from the radiator.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Registered

Audio-
In Louisiana, a vehicle is a lemon if 3 or more attempts are made to repair a given problem within the warranty period, or if the vehicle spends a cumulative total of over 30 days in the shop for any various problems. I don't know if this would apply to a factory extended warranty, but the trick is to document all the crap to prove your case.

I had repeat problems with a Pontiac (wife's) a few years ago, and Pontiac ended up having to buy the car back. I could not find one person in Pontiac or GM that gave a flyin S__T about my wife driving a new car with an oil slick covering the floor pan and chassis. Not to mention the liability of running low on oil and hearing "That's YOUR fault".

Anyway, I would call the BBB and check into it, if it's not too late.

Good Luck
Bulldog
Old 07-25-2002, 08:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Bulldog the wheels are already in motion. I have had it in, this is the 5th time, but only the second that they have actually looked hard enough to find a problem. Evey other time it was them telling me that it is "normal". In the last two weeks I have not had my truck except for the weekends. I have absolutly ZERO confidence in my truck and WILL NOT tow my boat or anything with it as I am sure it will mess up and leave me stuck on the side of the road. So as of late I have used my 1987 F250 to do any towing. At this point they have told me that they WILL NOT replace the transmision and that they want to replace the valve body again!!!!!! I have been told by a couple transmision shops that once the transmision codes out with a TC slipping code that the inside of the tranny gets coated with particals that it will mess up again 100% of the time!!!! If not today tomarrow or the next day. They have assured me that it is bandaid aproach that Ford does!!!! They will not let me talk to any of the "decision makers" at Ford!!! So I have put 10,000 bucks down and am paying over 600 bucks a month for a Mid Size Chevy rental at this point. I am considering just selling the piece of **** and taking my losses and getting something else.

Jon
Old 07-25-2002, 09:11 AM
Registered

Those transmissions are at their limit with the Powerstroke.A friend of mine works at Ford,he said when you start chipping and doing other modifictions you are asking for trouble.They just can't take the heat buildup.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

BBB
Old 07-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

Really???...what is his name...i work at GTO,,for the most part all trans prototype, development, calibration, and testing are right here! powertrain testing as well in our 60 dyna cells and 6 vehicle rolls.

the real reason is aftermarket cals do not do any durability testing for the cal they just sold....their main concern is more power??...not how long it lasts....damn,,,try'n to think of who said this....it's not how fast you go....it's how well you go fast!....it applies to a lot of ****!
kinda like when someone rebuild a merc engine that ran 500 hours at 500hp and after the rebuild and mods to make it better they get 50 hours at 525hp??? go figure

Thanks for your time,

Regards,
Joseph Allen Skrocki
Engineering Technologist - Phase III Dynamometer Lab
ATNPC Box 38, 35500 Plymouth Rd., Livonia, MI 48150
Phone: (734) 52-35339 Text Pager734) 651-2028
Email: [email protected]
Old 07-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

PS....my stock 2000 PSD dually has 98K of towing on it...by the way i tow as fast as it will go!...92mph for hundreds of miles...till i come to a hill never let it down shift on it's own at wot...i have never added any fluid and will never change it!...o yeah my 95 van i used for towing prior i sold with 195k on trans...same fluid. none ever added...it's stil being used by an employee here at ford as a tow vehicle...same fluid
Old 07-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Audacity was that directed at me??? The person that I have talked to so far is the dealer Walls Ford. They have been trying real hard but I am starting to wonder if they know what the f they are doing!!!!

Jon

Quick Reply: 1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.