Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29257-1999-ford-psd-tranny-problems.html)

Audiofn 07-21-2002 11:15 PM

1999 Ford PSD Tranny Problems!!!!

Well guys I thought they had my tranny fixed. They put in a new valve body and some other stuff. For two days it ran really good. Well I called up the dealership to say thanks and good job and no sooner did I call them but I kid you not 5 mim. later it messed up!!!! Then as I am driving down the road it starts to shift REAL hard. Then it would slip like crazy when going down the road like the torque converter is not locked. Anyhow my questions are this.

1) How much driving with the torque converter unlocked will cause damage to the tranny? I drove about 200 miles to get me home.

2) Has anyone had similiar problems with their tranny's?

3) If I can get them to replace this tranny under warrantee with a new one will that give me all the benifiets of the 2001-2002 transmisions? This will be the third dealer and the 5th time back total to fix the problem, will the new trannies from the new trucks fit in this one?

4) At this point I have driven the truck so far with the tranny slipping is there any way to know if the tranny clutches have suffered any damage? In a string that I started last week there was mention of not using the Mercol I think it was transmision fluid in the truck. Is there any visual way to know the difference btwn the different ATF fluid so that I can know if they put the wrong stuff in there?

Thanks guys this is driving me nuts and I just want it fixed. I am starting to not trust the truck any more. On the good side the dealers have all been trying real hard to get this squared away and Ford has been good in trying to get the thing fixed. I am just getting to the point that I have not had my truck for a long time as it has been in repair shops for the last month now. I am paying my monthly payment for a Ford F350 and driving what ever rental car they put me in!!! :(:(

Jon

Waterfoul 07-21-2002 11:22 PM

My truck is also shifting badly Jon. Guess Dodge doesn't do the computer controlled tranny thing well either.

cartman 07-21-2002 11:32 PM

Hey Jon, sorry to hear about your tranny problems. I have been told that there are a lot of them out there with bad trannys. A friend of mine has a 2000 f350 that has been through 2 trannys. converter clutch not locking up should not do any damage as long as it dosen't get too hot. slipping may be a problem. I know GM tranny's if they slip it will go into a default mode and apply full line pressure hense harsh shift and lock out overdrive. Sounds simular to your problem, usually will set a check engine light and a code. You may have a sensor/electrical problem putting your tranny into default? just a suggestion, Ill ask around and see if I can get any more info from a friend of mine who is a ford tech. GOOD LUCK :) :)

MitchStellin 07-21-2002 11:43 PM

What probably happened is the torque converter is going away. Changing the valve body just removed the metal that was clogging it up. It happened again because the converter is still going away and will untill it is gone. The mechanic should have seen lots of metal. If he was a friend than thats OK. If it was a dealer or not a friend he knew what was going on and took you for a $1000 torque converter. I know because a dealer Elhart Dodge, did it to me. Now I tell the world they are crooks and they know it. Pretty soon it will just die. Take it somewhere and drop the pan. You will see metal and look for the magnet. It will be all "hairy" The magnet only picks up steel. The TQ is aluminum. I returned my valve body when a real mechanic gave me the same story. They gave me back my money when I confronted it to them. Full of more metal and all. Saved me a $800 part. I know this hurts but it is a fact of life: Dealers will screw you and trannys break often.:mad:

Intolerant1 07-21-2002 11:49 PM

Your 100,000 mile warranty on the diesel does not cover the transmission. I just went through this with a Ford dealer as I had a small pan leak and wanted it fixed. I looked in my warranty book as I was positive it stated 100,000 mile drive train warranty. I was wrong. Engine and related engine components only...not the trans or rear end.

As far as updating the trans, you will not get a new trans from Ford even if it were under warranty. I replaces 2 of them in my F150 under warranty. Both replacments were factory rebuilds. Good luck, find a good trans shop if you cant get a warranty claim.

Audiofn 07-21-2002 11:55 PM

Jeffey thanks man any help would be HUGE at this point. I think you may be close to what the Ford was doing. The shifts could be REAL had and I forgot to mention that they trouble code for the transmision (overdrive light flashing) was going off.

Mitchstelling thanks for the info. The truck is under warrantee so it has not cost me any money to date.

Troutly thanks for the link. I will check it out. I hope they can fix this. Do you know if the newer transmisions will fit in there?

Jon

Audiofn 07-21-2002 11:58 PM

Troutly do you have the web site that was for Ford PSD? I can not find it.

Jon

GAMEMAN 07-22-2002 12:06 AM

THE TRANS IS THE WEAK LINK IN THE POWER STROKES I HAD A 2000 MODEL AND THE TRANS WENT OUT A 20K MILES NOW I HAVE A 2002 MODEL TRANS STARTED SLIPPING AT BOUT 3K MILES BUT OTHER THAN THAT GREAT TRUCK MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM CHEVYS BIG SELLING POINT WAS THE ALLISON TRANS

boathead 07-22-2002 07:43 AM

Jon,
Sorry to hear of your problems, this is my reason for going with a stick, so far the old 5 speed has done me good. The only good automatic is an allison, too bad Dodge isn't smart enough to put 'em behind the awesome Cummins.
best of luck,
Paul

Clackster 07-22-2002 08:56 AM

Trans

I feel for ya!
We have a transmission shop here in Louisiana and I have to say that Mitch could be right.
Ford new and replacement converters are sub-standard components. Accumulator valves in the valve body stick because of foreign object in the fluid and because they control shift quality shifts can go sloppy and timing can be effected as well.
the computer picks up on the error and defaults the transmission into limp mode .max line pressure no TCC opperation.this is what causes the harsh shifts.
Ford has made only few upgrades to there converters.before the Powerstroke came out the converter was OK..MAYBE???
Then the stroke came out and the found that the 4 mounting lugs were ripping off at the flywheel so the added two more mounting lugs this cured the external problems but the battle with Dodges'Cummings was at full steam!They kept throwing more HP at the Stroke but never re-engineered the torque converter to handle the new HP and torque.Add to this the inter-cooler in '99 and some of these HP chips out there and no upgrades.......Somethings gotta go!!! there is still not enough TCC clutch apply surface to handle most towing applications
Help is out there...There is a company building a 13 1\2 inch.[12 inch factory] converter with a billit rear cover that is .900 thick!!!
[.180 factory] that is hand made, furnaced brazed and has a TCC clutch that is about 2 inch wide.[.750 factory]
Ford does only have a 10,000 gvw Tow rating on there F350 and my customers are all thinking that if the motor pulls it....and it does!!! the trans must be good for it too ehh???......Nope..
We have people pulling between 15,000 and 28,000 with the E4OD [Or 4R100 '99-UP] WITH CHIPS AND COOLERS CRYING!!! FOR BETTER.
the converter sells for about $1450. But the difference is awesome.
For the OSO group I would do a cost deal to show the benefit

H.B. Clack P2-7
Oh,sometimes it takes out the pump.....yuk!!!:eek: