Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   We Need A Destination.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29258-we-need-destination.html)

Frequency 07-21-2002 11:27 PM

We Need A Destination....

My wife and I are planning a boating getaway the second weekend in August. Problem is, we don't know where we want to go. The Lanier Poker Run is high on our list, but at 11 hours, it's a long drive. We live about three hours from Chicago and Indy and would like to limit the drive to eight hours. Considering Kentucky, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio destinations.

Accomodations near or on the water are desireable. A place with kid friendly activities we can check out for later trips with the family would be a plus. Any ideas????:)

Waterfoul 07-21-2002 11:30 PM

Grand Haven or Muskegon MI are nice places. Muskegon even has a pretty good amusement park with several roller coasters and a HUGE water park. Michigan Adventures is what it's called. And the boating in the area is really good. Lot's of ramps and the ports are not more than 12 miles apart at any point. So you can put in at one and boat to another for the day.

Or Traverse City. Lot's to do for kids there. Some good boating too as long as the bay isn't rough.

Frequency 07-22-2002 08:32 AM

Anyone else???? :)

audacity 07-22-2002 08:52 AM

east side of mi....been boating in a lot of places...lake st clair if ya want a big part place...the bay also has warm water, sandy bottom, and shallow water where the kids can hang...or cedar point in erie....GREAT marina...we also take the boat around the point, toss the anchor and wade into the cedar point water park. then there's always put-in-bay??

Bill272 07-22-2002 08:55 AM

Cedar Point! Great marina, awesome roller coasters, stuff for kids (Camp Snoopy), and water park. Get the "Ride and Slide" and get two days of unlimited access to the coasters AND the water park. Our kids (8 and 5) didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back. The adults felt the same way.

It's close to Put-in-Bay and Kelly's island. If you want to party, stay at the municipal docks at PIB. If you just want to explore for the day, there are places that will let you dock during the day or by the hour.

obnoxus 07-22-2002 09:10 AM

OZARKS !!!!!!!!!!!

Cramer 07-22-2002 10:02 AM

Well, Lake of the Ozarks is great for activities. But I am not sure on the time in travle. I have a friend that makes the trip about every weekend. Just have to come here if you have never been. There are all sorts of resorts on the water with docks, so you dont have to pull in and out. Plus there are hundreds of resturants. Of all kinds, from sea food to bar-bQ. And plenty of action for the kids you have water parks, go-kart tracks, acades (sp) and much much more.

My .02

Cramer

Frequency 07-22-2002 10:06 AM

LOTO is our current favorite for adult getaways. We are going down this weekend and again for the Shootout. Just looking for someplace different. Cedar Point sounds real interesting. Any other ideas? Kentucky, Iowa?

Clay Washington 07-22-2002 12:14 PM

Lake Cumberland, KY

Jamestown Resort and Marina on Lake Cumberland is a nice place. It is a 15 minute ride to 76 Falls (party cove).

Sheryl and I were there in June. It was very nice.

Dixie Doug 07-22-2002 06:11 PM

Ky. Lake temp Hot!!!!in August,same thing Lake Clumberland.APBA has a boat race in Cleveland 8/9-8/10 temp has been nice that time of year ,have fun Doug