Drive shaft shield important or not ? >

Drive shaft shield important or not ?

Notices

Drive shaft shield important or not ?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drive shaft shield important or not ?

I just took the Bam tranny out of my boat and I'm installing a drive shaft so I don't have to relocate my engine . I know in OPA and racing that drive shaft shields are required but how important are they ? Has anyone had a driveshaft/driveline failure cause damage or propel debris .
It's not an issue if I need to build one for it but I really didn't want the obstruction in the bay preventing me from cleaning and servicing the shaft and bearings . with no shield it would be so easy to just reach down and do a quick bearing check before I go out .
Now if an overwhelming amount think yes that I have to have one and that the shield is not precautionary overkill then I will get one in the immediately ..

Also the BAM 1350 is for sale if anyone needs it .
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

its not so much the odstruction id be worried about. from my experiance with them i like them! they keep the u-joint grease from flying in your bilge!!!

p.s please use classifieds for advertising your tranny for sale
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I didn't think about the grease slinging !
Funny Tim ! It is in the classifieds I just figured I would throw it out there !
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

you would be pissed wiping grease off the girls on the inside of your hatch!!! unless it was white grease then they would have a pearl necklass
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Joe,
I'd say very important. Anything that touches the shaft will wrap around it. Mine just has covers on the differentials at each end. Almost resulted in my boat sinking once. Blower ventilation tube fell on to it while running and the wire wrapped around the shaft and whipped against everything. It cut the incoming water line to the point where water was seeping through it. One more little cut and I would have had a bunch of water in the boat if not sunk. It beat one of the teague sea strainers and fittings so bad I had to replace them. Not to mention all the gel and nice bilge paint beaten up. Trim lines needed to be replaced, etc... Plastic from the hose nearly completely blocked the air intake of the whipples. Still to this day I find wire pieces from the reinforcement.
A rag, rope, anything can get around it and the least it will do is make a mess. Strong vote to take the time to rig it with the shield.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yea if anything makes a mess on my girls I'de be pi$sed !
Attached Thumbnails Drive shaft shield important or not ?-img_0125.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bam 1350

I thought the purpose of a transmission was to protect the outdrive in high HP applications?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes joe they are a must! I have seen a boat with the new 1350s and it snapped a driveshaft
And if there was no cover it would have messed a lot more up then just the cover.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I treated a guy who shattered his jaw when a drive line broke loose and hit him. It was ugly!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skate
I treated a guy who shattered his jaw when a drive line broke loose and hit him. It was ugly!
Please tell more of this story . How was his face even near the driveline while running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.