Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The adventure of my tub is now over (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29277-adventure-my-tub-now-over.html)

Jayl13 08-02-2002 05:16 PM

Well my friends seems that the black cloud has NOT left me as of yet
My tech and engine builder that were supposed to be here at 2 PM did not show
Yes that is right no shows
Spent about 2 hours calling and trying to get someone from the shop, tech, builder anyone on the phone
Finally at about 10 minutes to 5 got ahold of the engine builder who said no can do
So NOW I have to tow this beast down to his shop in the morning for him to mess with it so no poker run for Jason
I swear im ready to shoot someone
Ill let you all know what happens
One thing that the engine builder DID say is that if the cam is wiped that the valves and rockers would be tapping away
and when I run this thing I hear NOTHING at all like a valve tap
He is dead set that the valve is stuck
I wish I shared his optimism but nothing seems to ever go right on this tub so why be different now.
I said to him, if it is the cam then what
He said I dont care WHO"S cam it is no one is going to cover the damage and replace it under warranty
well ahhh that is not what I mean there buddy, I meant YOU
i want YOU to replace it and check it all out ect.
Then he says to me, dont worry the valve is too tight
ahhhh im not liking this at all
like Oh well if the engine has to be pulled then im on my own?
I dont think so
that is what small claims court is for pal
im too far pissed to be messing with right now.
Jason

SR-24 08-02-2002 05:22 PM

Jay, do the compression check now and find the cylinder that doesn't have any. Adjust the valve and go to the lake! I'm with the builder too. I am sure it's just a tight exhaust valve.

SR-24 08-02-2002 05:24 PM

You can probably do it without the tester. Just take out all spark plugs, have someone turn it over and hold your thumb over each hole and I guarantee you will find a dead cylinder.

Scooter 08-02-2002 05:47 PM

9.5-1 compression isn't much that is what a 350 chevy from the dealer come at, it sounds like timing or valve adjustment throwing off the timing just my .02:confused:

Audiofn 08-02-2002 07:28 PM

WHAT IS THE DILIO!!!!!!!!!

Tinkerer 08-03-2002 12:40 AM

That is why I always bronze wall all the guides. NO tight valves.

ragtop409 08-03-2002 01:30 AM

valves

I put a 60 over 454:D in mu Burb and I had all the exaust about one turn to tight and it did many of the things you talk about:confused: If you have the risers off and can get the valve covers off losen them all up one turn. that is a good test it should stop the snap and sound like it has solid lifters in it then you can have some one ajust jem with the motor runing and hot:D :D :D

Jayl13 08-04-2002 08:11 AM

Gents the culprit was COIL BIND
Seems I bent just about all the pushrods due to coil bind
the springs were shimmed to high and the seats sat the springs way too high
so when cam was opening the valve the spring would compress all the way and had no more left but cam was still opening the valve so most of the pushrods were destroyed (and yeah she still ran????? )
so after replacing the shims, all the valve springs, and all the pushrods
I can NOW finally go boating

I put up another post in General discussions that you can all read the entire story titled Ladies and gentlemen announcement!!!

Go read it, as per my norm, I made it a little funny so enjoy the reading and wave if ya see me out there
Have to go rush to get some yard work done so I can go out today
WOOHOO
The CLOUD IS NOW GONE
and ELVIS has LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

R Addiction 08-04-2002 10:06 PM

So........did you get it in the water?????? Inquiring minds need to know?:confused:

Jayl13 08-05-2002 09:14 AM

Yep
She got wet Sunday afternoon for about 15 minutes
I have found a few things wrong but nothing HORRIBLE
My shifters are tight tight tight
My steering is TIGHT as hell too.
Like the PS pump is not putting out but it was running okay and full of PS fluid
Had a small backfire on the trailer in the ramp when starting it
no biggie
she fired right up
Went out
got up about 2500-3000 RPM's
had another backfire about 10 minutes after the first one
she kept going
ran for about anohter 10 minutes and back into marina dropped off my friend, he went grabbed the truck,
Did not let it idle too low while waiting so cam would break in okay kept rpm's moving up and down, (have to reset idle back down to 750, right now idling around 1100 or so)
All in all she ran well , I was pleased and she sounded freakin MEAN
I felt bad for the dude in the apache behind me
I had kept revving it up while waiting for the truck to back down the ramp and he was just listening to my exhaust for about 10 minutes or so
(and everyone else on the east coast for that matter) :D
Here is a small list of what I need to tend to,

Steering way too tight
Shifters way too tight
Idle needs to be dropped back down
Change oil
and she really needs a bath
back seats installed
engine hatch installed
Need the wife with me in a thong
new pair of shades
WOOHOO