Where to buy lines/bumpers? >

Where to buy lines/bumpers?

Notices

Where to buy lines/bumpers?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Floating is good, so you can grab it and get it out of the water before a prop or jet shi run it over.

They are not as strong, what are you doing with your dock lines? the amount of force needed in a dock line, or anchor line is not going to break a line. the anchor will give, now a dock might hold and your cleat might but unless some hurricane tsunami is coming i don't thing the 99.9% of the time raft up, docking situation is going to require something stronger then those.
Non floating drops straight down and is a non-issue.
It gets pretty rough on a dock sometimes. Toughness is not just about max rating on day one, its about 4 years later after some battle scars. Is the line still serviceable or time to spend more $$ on a new one.
Anchor line is the last place I want poly. There is no pulling it in when wind changes direction and a line goes slack in a raft-up. Just need one dumb azz circler that is too close to the bows and not paying attention.

I see lines break most holiday weekends (or cleats tear out)
The horseshoe starts to form, then its just a matter of placing bets on where the break will occur.

Each to their own, just providing a little ying to the yang of poly love fest.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 03-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

Why cant you pull in your anchor line?

and whats is the horseshoe you are talking about
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought lines from Denver Rope about 8 years ago. 100% custom lines with anything you wanted. Quality is top notch as these lines have been in use for 7 seasons and still look like new. John Romero was extremely helpful and fair.

http://www.denverrope.com/custom-boat-lines.htm
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
NOT a fan of floating polypro lines.
They are weaker than nylon, chafe easily and degrade in sunlight.
I see floating as a negative, just waiting to get sucked up in a prop or jetski intake.
Double braided nylon for dock lines and either double braid or twist for anchor line.

Define "not ordinary colors?" What color are you looking for?
Both Taylor made and Polyform produce a wide variety of colors. "Big B", thru hole type are the best, IMO.
Due to quantity, inventory and boater preference, many only stock the basics but can get others. Sometimes this works for you since certain colors can be on closeout but usually the price is higher.
I have seen deals on fenders at Amazon that beat what I can get from my wholesale supplier.
So you have one line that doesn't float, tied off to the stern cleat, and it ends up hanging right over the drive. Another tied to the same cleat that floats so it won't be near the drive.

You can obviously see the one that floats on the water. the one that sank is practically invisible from inside the boat. I don't get your thoughts on this. At all.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mittens
My name is mittens for a reason,.
Thats funny chit right there
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered 4 -25 ft dock lines with Chris Cat on them from Midweswt Boat Party.

Now I will have matching dock lines.

Wannabe
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They aren't bumpers! They are FENDERS!!! Now that my rant is done....

I have two white and two black taylor made fenders. They are easy to find and inexpensive. However I spend a decent abount on quality soft covers for them.... This way they don't scratch up the hull and look nice. When dirty, just pull the cover and machine wash. As far as fender and dock lines, I have color matched, but couldn't remember the name to save my life. They are nice quality. If using the docks overnight or for the weekend, I use standard old white dock lines so my good ones don't get sun faded.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
If using the docks overnight or for the weekend, I use standard old white dock lines so my good ones don't get sun faded.
Paranoid much? a over night stay is not going to sunfade your lines.

Now leaving your lines on a dock 100% of the time, those will after a few years.