Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Arneson and Chief Powerboats, Bobby Saccenti, team up to build a 42’ Chief Powerboat. >

Arneson and Chief Powerboats, Bobby Saccenti, team up to build a 42’ Chief Powerboat.

Notices

Arneson and Chief Powerboats, Bobby Saccenti, team up to build a 42’ Chief Powerboat.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warpath got screwed. I guess this is what happens when a race organizer is part of the race.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by caseyh
DQ huh? No politics in this races is there?
Nah, not this time, anyhow. The Brits try to run a pretty straight-up event, and I think they are still getting definitions and penalties sorted out. This was a 'test race' for the main event next year: London-to-Montecarlo.

Both the DQ and time penalty today, belonged to Warpath, and to them only: both were on-boat navigation errors/insufficiencies.
- The first instance was entering an exclusion zone on plane - a 1st order romper-room no-no.
- Today's 1hr hickey was for putting a 'neighborhood play' on a mark and not rounding it. Err ... ding-ding-ding.

Chief had some on/off/reset/trust issues early with their GPS/Chartplotter, and those may/may not have been resolved, plus the navigation and waypoints were pretty precise, and you just don't get that kind of experience in the states (any more).

Chief done good, and Cinzano ain't exactly chopped liver. It turned out to be class racing at it's very best.

Last edited by goatskin; 06-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
Warpath got screwed. I guess this is what happens when a race organizer is part of the race.
Nah. That was tacky and short sighted on the part of both the individual and the VC committee to allow the conflict (real or imagined), it was Warpath, theirownselves who committed the navigation errors that invoked the penalties. If, yanno, the race mark is AROUND a buoy to your port, well, if you short-cut it, ...

Nobody stepped on Chief's shoelaces, except they-selves.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goatskin
Nah. That was tacky and short sighted on the part of both the individual and the VC committee to allow the conflict (real or imagined), it was Warpath, theirownselves who committed the navigation errors that invoked the penalties. If, yanno, the race mark is AROUND a buoy to your port, well, if you short-cut it, ...

Nobody stepped on Chief's shoelaces, except they-selves.
Sounds like an awesome run for the first time out. Congradulations!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterdogs
Sounds like an awesome run for the first time out. Congradulations!
Yeah. Chief had the faster boat, pretty clearly, but Markus ran the better race, and who won was supposed to win.

D Class, the two Scorpion ribs was pretty interesting too ... lots of rubber left on the ocean between them .... 500-odd miles and a couple of minutes separation? awesome.

The two boats that WEREN'T there: Vee Ganjazian's's 40' Phantom Microlink who kinda-sorta wins most everything in that neck of the woods (self-scratch due to safety concerns at the parade) and (our) Cookee's E-Class 37' Bananashark E-Lites (blown motor 10mi into the start) would have made the race a lot better, but, oh well ... it was first class!

Last edited by goatskin; 06-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goatskin
Yeah. Chief had the faster boat, pretty clearly, but Marcus ran the better race, and who won was supposed to win.

D Class, the two Scorpion ribs was pretty interesting too ... lots of rubber left on the ocean between them .... 500-odd miles and a couple of minutes separation? awesome.

The two boats that WEREN'T there: Vee's 40' Phantom Microlink who kinda-sorta wins most everything (self-scratch due to safety concerns at the parade) and (our) Cookee's E-Class 37' Bananashark E-Lites (blown motor 10mi into the start) would have made the race a lot better, but, oh well ... it was first class!
I agree, would have love'd to have seen V race and John race further than he did.

It all came down to preparation and planning. Fuel, GPS and Navigation solely were the problems that kept Warpath from achieving an absolute wonderful feet. Hat's off and a big Congratulations to them though as the boat arrived I believe less than a week before the race and they had no mechanical problemsthat prevented them from winning the race.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, if the winning team takes pride in winning by a technicality that's just swell. However, most understand who crossed the finish line(s) first.

Cheers
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A tremendous effort by everyone involved with Warpath. The crew, powerboat, rigging, drives, props, engines etc all set a sterling example. A tip of the hat to all!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Well, if the winning team takes pride in winning by a technicality that's just swell. However, most understand who crossed the finish line(s) first.

Cheers
you're being silly, yes?

or you've not raced? nor read race rules?

I think APBA, OPA and SBI award 'no time' for missing a mark.
Getting tagged an hour was tough, but racing 'for practice' is tougher.

I know of no racer who would agree with you.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther

Cheers
Absolutely, however, I think this race was much ado about the details as it was the racing itself. Kinda like the old school racing in the US. While I don't really understand the penalties, I get that it's kinda a scavenger hunt sort of race. Go to point "A" then go to point "B" and round back to point "C" who ever does it first wins sort of racing. This is where the preparation comes in and I think the team gained some valuable lessons and knowledge they can apply towards next year b/c it's going to be a lot longer, just as technical and very demanding to hit the points 100% and still go as fast as possible.

They still have the Cowes to Torquay race later in the year to look forward to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.