Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do you write your hobby off to your business? >

How do you write your hobby off to your business?

Notices

How do you write your hobby off to your business?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by commandersander
In fl, commercial registration costs the same as personal. However, insurance becomes a new game....as in cost goes up.

I have several....and do rent them. However, I boat for free. Test and tune, repair test, rent prep. They all cut into the bottom line, but ultimately...it is a win win. At the end, you net less on your Corp filing but continue to reap the rewards of income from the llc as well lower tax on the Corp. Yes, you then pay on income from the llc, but consider it found money...

Oh....and it's legal.

You are talking charter.....

I believe that the original poster is talking about trying to transfer some of his boating expenses from "personal" to "have my business pay for dat". Personally (regarding boats), I keep business just that......business. Do you also have a single checking account for personal and business?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont plan to travel much it may be easier for you to register it in a neighboring state and raise fewer DNR eyebrows than a distant state.
Most state registrations have a usage requirement such as "primarily" used in their state. Some base their annual personal property tax on where it is on January 1 or if it is in the state longer than 3 months for instance.
Out of sight, out of mind is best when dealing with taxes sales and PPT. Private storage instead of public, dont leave it on the lift for long periods if you have a slip.
Find some people willing to help you out but down play your actual strategy when Average Joe asks.

Depending on the tax codes of Ohio, there may be multiple options. All depends on how tax savvy you want to become (or pay someone to be).
If you have that Nortech on the way, I would definately do my homework or pay someone. Initial tax savings alone could be huge, not to mention annual PPT.

These tax planning steps are mostly exclusive to those taking the next step of writing down purchase and operating costs.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 03-19-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
This is sort of on the same subject.

Does anyone own their boat under an LLC to buffer themselves in the event of an insurance or other type of claim?
Some of my friends who race cars have "Such & Such Racing LLC" own the car to help protect their personal assets in the event of an accident. You can show expenses and income through it as well.
If something happens that is bad enough they will come after you personally. An umbrella policy is always good for the last line of defense.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

No, separate accounts....otherwise it is not legitimate. Not talking about charter, bare boat commercial. This simply means I INTEND to rent my vessel(s) to third party non beneficiaries.

As far as umbrella, I have encountered instances with osprey and Lloyds where uscg licensing, and inspection were required. If our humble hero is not a uscg captain, he would need to hire a 3rd party liaison (like me) and put that person on the payroll. 1099 or w2 depending on the arrangement made.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Bringing this up again.

Considering an LLC in Montana to register all of my cars under.
Any other experiences?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

I just want to see your car collection.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Bringing this up again.

Any other experiences?
Enlighten me. Did you throw a dart at a large map of the US and hit that state, or is there something significant about Montana?

Buck
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
Enlighten me. Did you throw a dart at a large map of the US and hit that state, or is there something significant about Montana?

Buck
+1, inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck183

Buck

no sales tax, used to wash titles for export. The department of Homeland Security and all the manufactures have been watching the state pretty close as of late.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Bringing this up again.

Any other experiences?
Just get a dealers license unless you own land in Montana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.