Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sites to see in Kingston, Ontario? >

Sites to see in Kingston, Ontario?

Notices

Sites to see in Kingston, Ontario?

Old 07-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Wild Horses

Question Sites to see in Kingston, Ontario?

We are going to Kingston, Ontario this weekend for a wedding and to take some potential clients out on the boat. Can anyone make a recommendation as to what sights to see via the water as we are trailering out Wild Horses.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much time do you have? Ever been to Boldt Castle?

If you don't mind a trip, maybe 1.5-2.0hr trip over to Alexandria Bay... Boldt Castle is a must see, stop and take the tour. Bad part is you'll have to check in with imigration (office is at castle) then again when you arrive back in Canada.

If not, take a ride up under the Canadian span 1000 Island Bridge, a lot of beautiful new homes around that area.

We were in Kingston Saturday, nice place. The canons were kind of neat, but nothing else really sticks in my mind.

If you ever get a chance, have lunch sometime at the Kingston Brewery (no not a liquid lunch). A was a very unique restaurant, we had lunch in the courtyard.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Registered

Default places to go

there are 2 beaches down near Gananoque (20 min.) one on the head of Grindstone and one on the head of thwartway(leak island) One is canadian and the other is U.S. they are side by side.you will see the boats. also follow someone through the international rift . Very narrow. Canada 10 feet on one side and US 10 feet on the other and when you get through the is an anchorage called Lake Of The Isles. (great party spot)and yes this is all on the way to Bolt castle and A-Bay. There is plenty of scenery. you won't be disappointed. If you need more info let me know I should be out there all weekend.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:57 AM
jb
Registered

Kingston - Abay is about 45min - 1.0 hour at 45-55 mph.
WE do it several time/year.
The rift is definately a cool experience. But you need to follow someone or have someone who knows with you. I recommend going from lake of the isles to the rift its a little easier, that way you are on the throttle and have more time to see if there is traffic coming the other way.
Did not run the rift this year but last year when the water was lower it was even better!
Lonestar Restaurant in Kingston is fun for lunch on the back deck. Its just passed the howard johnson
Also there is a great Ice cream store...White Mountain. well worth it. Its also on the main drag. Dock at Confederation basin.
Leave the dock and take a left for ice cream, a left for lonestar. Bothe short walks
Old 07-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chez Piggy is a great resturant in KIngston. Really upscale lunches. Good with clients.

I take it you have been on the river before, so you dont need a lesson in avoiding the many hidden shoals.

Potters Beach is located about 1/4 way down from the head on the Canadain backside (Canadian side) Look for Chub island on a map, which is across from the beach. This can get busy, but most of the performance boats raft up with each other.

Another place to swim is in the Picton Island bay. Take the Canadain channel downriver then cut down by the foot of Grindstone. You will pass Canoe Point (great for picnic lunches) and Picnic Point. Both of these are accessable by boat only. In between the two is another small beach like area. Look for the boats anchored there and the shoals.

Picton island bay is located in the south west corner of the island. Imagine that the island looks like an H, its in the opening on the bottom.

Boldt Castle is difinatly worth a trip if you have not been there before. You could take the Wolfe Isalnd cut (at the foot of wolfe island) and go downriver past Clayton (wave to me) pick up the channel and play connect-the-channel-markers to A-bay. Boldt is no trouble getting in. Dockage can be a little problematic, so just be prepared. This also takes you under the US span of the TI bridge.

Coming back you could go into Lake of the Isles and through the rift. With the water being as high as it is this summer, it should not be a problem. Just stay in the center and follow the boats. From there you can pick up the canadian channel and head back to kingston.

From the castle you can also go around Hill Isalnd and pick up the canadian channel there. This will take you under the Canadian span and back to Kingston.

Just a reminder. If you are not 100 percent sure of where you are going, dont go. the water is high this year. Most of the visable shoals are underwater. Channels are a safe way to go, especially when traveling at high speeds. Dont want to scare you off, just want to make you aware of whats out there.

Let me know if you want more- am heading up there on SUNDAY - can't wait!

Brad
Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM
24Switzer

I grew up in Kingston and most of the people have suggested the good spots. Here is my list:

1) Boldt Caslte is a must
2) ABay is very close to the Caslte and worth a stop
3) The whole area around Boldt Castle, Abay and Hill Island have some amazing scenary
4) Eat a Chez Piggy, some little known trivia is that it is owned by a former member of the band Lighthouse
5) Do some bar hopping one night in the downtown core which is a short walk from Confederation Basin. There are some great bars and pubs that I spent much of my youth patronizing. In the summer, there are tonnes of people walking from bar to bar having a great time.

Make sure you have your charts with you, the waters are tricky in some spots but everything is well marked and you will be fine as long as you follow the markers.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Wild Horses

Thanks for all of the input everyone. We have never boated in Kingston so will be purchasing charts upon arrival. Saturday is the wedding, Sunday will be short runs with some clients, Monday just the wife and I cruizing around.

Basically, we don't have a clue where we are going.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:47 PM
jb
Registered

look at Richardsons charts
Old 07-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Wild Horses

Where can I find them? I'll be close to downtown Kingston, most likely at the Kingston Marina or Confederation Basin.

Old 07-23-2002, 01:38 PM
24Switzer

There is a Marine store right next to Confederation Basin called "Upper Deck Boating Store". It is on your left as soon as you come off the docks.

They sell charts.