Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Your Boat is about to hook... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29333-your-boat-about-hook.html)

audacity 07-23-2002 09:15 AM

Troutly u r correct...but timing,trim is everything...it's not how u do something it's when! having ideas about how to correct something after the fact is not how to do it...turning in mid air is never a good thing!

"then sqaut down low in your bolster and hang on"...i love it!!..text book!

T2x 07-23-2002 09:26 AM

Read the water........................... As your speed increases your focal point should be moving further out in direct proportion. You should be making adjustments long before you hit the problem water....trimming down....and (gasp) REDUCING SPEED.....before you hit water that your boat can't handle. Too many boaters drive by looking at tachs, trim gauges and speedos....and are not concentrating on conditions.

Bottom line....If you are unsure.......BACK OFF....before the problem occurs. Once you reach the point of no return...you are basically in the hands of God, but you would be surprised how many good hulls will talk (scream) to you and give you many subtle warnings......If you're listening.

T2x

SteveDavid 07-23-2002 09:30 AM

T2X,

44' Scarabs whisper, softly, very softly, so softly that even two semi intelligent people can't hear it :) OK, maybe they heard it but were'nt so semi intelligent afterall..........:eek: :eek: :eek:

T2x 07-23-2002 09:36 AM

Hydro drivers..............should drive hydros.............. Vee hulls...especially overly narrow ones....are for runabout drivers.

:p

T2x

PS: Besides, I said "good hulls"

Strike 07-23-2002 10:06 AM

TX2 is correct. Read the water and look for that 10th or so wave it could be the one that gets you in trouble.
As for hydro drivers, no coment, but a cat will act like a hydro a lot. Been there, done that in a hydro (5L).
Other than that, grab the "jesus bar" (AKA Jersey Skiff)!

Tantrum 07-23-2002 10:43 AM

I was running hard with a nut job buddy of mine in 4-5 foot swells. The conditions were near perfect and we had jackets on and I was tethered. I had a very nice rithum for about 35 minutes of launching the boat (big) clearing the center swell and landing with enough room to charge the next and do it again. We were pushing mid sixties with big grins... Well as you could and we knew there was a rogue wave that happend to be the center we should have cleared. The back skipped and the bow came down. We both got low in the bolsters and held on (big eyes). I applied light throttle to keep boat streight but not too much to bring it around. Guesstimating I would have to say the boat went from about 65 to 5 in the matter of 50 feet or so. Quite an stop. The bow never pierced the water but could have only missed by inches. I remained in my bolster but my passenger did hit the cabin door hard. I would say the boat stayed right on coarse except for Steve being thrown toward to the right.
It was a reflex to apply lite thottles. In cars, bikes, snowmobiles ect. it has always been my experience to keep the vehical moving in the direction it was designed to travel and it will stieghten out.
Im not posting this with the recommendation that you do this. Im posting this as a personal experince. I would like to hear some proffessional feedback as to weather throttles are recommended or not.

and for the books Steve is ok, he even has a new bar trick where he opens his eye's REALY wide and they pop out alittle bit. ;-)

blown formula 07-23-2002 10:46 AM

:p I've been there too!! at 65 mph & in the length of time you have AFTER you say "Oh CHIT"....it's already over & done with....your just pickin' up the bodies and sayin' "Oh God, I'm glad your not hurt badly." Once the boat starts to turn in the air, nothing but NOTHING is going to change that, and turning the drive MAY make the situation worse by adding another violent turn on landing. I cannot even imagine hooking a boat over 65 and not being seriously screwed.......you sure can't hang on.:(

SteveDavid 07-23-2002 10:54 AM

T2x,

Once again, I am humbled by the clarity of your observation,

Schmuck :p :p

Best to Darren!

INCOGNITO 07-23-2002 11:03 AM

BACK OFF THROTTLES--BRACE FOR IMPACT.....ONCE YOUR AIRBORNE ITS TOO LATE...:eek: HOPE YOU HAVE A VEE BOTTOM ITS A LOT MORE FORGIVING THAN A CAT

T2x 07-23-2002 11:04 AM

Steve:

That's "Mister Schmuck" to you............

T2x