Notices

IL drinking on boat.....

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
They were loaded for bear! Guy was on beach across from us for a couple of hours.
Sir, please pull your boat out here so we can board it. You passed inspection however we're taking you to jail for BUI!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was boarded once by a Coast Guard Cutter in the Detroit River at about 11:30pm. The Coasty asked if he could board the boat to do a safety inspection. He got real close to me to see if he could smell alcohol. He did...... So he finished his safety check, then got back aboard the Cutter. About 30 seconds later, a Wyandotte Police office appeared from the Cabin of the Cutter and asked if I would cooperate in a field sobriety test. I agreed, passed, and on my way I went. Long/short of it is, I don't think the Coast Guard can enforce DUI laws as they are local/state laws. I believe they can only enforce Federal Laws. However they can hold you on suspision for the local authorities to then proceed.. ( This is just a personal opinion, I have no real evidence to back it up...)I have been boarded numerous times by Canadian and US Coast Guard, and have never been asked for a field sobriety test. Yet EVERY time a Wayne County Sherrif looks at my boat, out comes the breath-alyzer....

And for the record, many, many years ago I was infact over the limit. Was taken to Grosse Ile Jail by Wayne County Sherrif. Went to court, wanted to take my lumps and plead guilty, however Judge refused to take my plea and forced me to get an attorney only to later plead guilty..... My legal rights to operate a boat in the Sate of Michigan was revoked for 6 months effective the day of sentencing. It just so happens I was sentenced in October (you can do the math on that one). My actuall drivers license was never revoked, nor did anything ever show up on my drivers license. My insurance rates never went up, etc. I am sure things have changed since then, and I have kept myself out of trouble since. That was at least 15 years ago (aboard a 24' cruiser).
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i think you are correct, I was told by a coastie they do not issue BUI's but will have enforcement come out if they feel its necessary. I dont think USCG is trained in that area and local enforcement issues the bui's

I have been boarded by all of them at one time or another. USCG, police, sheriff, and DNR never had a prob with any of them. Heck the local Sheriff use to race a B class (pre F2) Fountain and usually wants to just catch up on current racing lol. I kinda get a kick out of it plus he's an alright guy.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 03-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local Kemah police wait at the boat ramp in the evenings after being on the water all day.
Nassau Bay police come by "their local area" and you're asked to leave if you're still in the area an hour before dark.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

I was on Seadoo in Port Isable (sp) TX pulled over by USCG said take test for posiable BUI or go to shore for Public intox.. Shore was MY choice!! away I went!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

In Ontario Canada, no one on board can have open alchol while boat is moving. You can only drink on board if A: you have a cabin with a stove and fridge ( no BBQ or ice cooler counts as stove or fridge) and you are anchored for the night or docked at a Marina.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

I am 100% positive of my post. It is frowned upon and may attract unwanted attention by authorities but it is legal
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
we will stay at blarneys island if we get too drunk,,same for petite lake..ancor down and ancor light on so they can see you of coarse..
See u this summer at petite sandbar
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
wasn't there a thread last year about a guy at loto getting hauled away for being drunk with the anchor down and no intention of leaving for the night? Boat cops are my least favorite people in the world.
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I couple summers ago I was boating in south haven a bit. Watching the sheriffs from the public marina, all they did was cruise up and down the river, stopping people all day long. I was stopped twice i think in 2 weekends. It becomes annoying, and was a big turnoff for me. I can see if your driving like a jerk, or doing something wrong, but the random ''I wanna ruin your day'' checks are BS.
Originally Posted by txtraveller2002
The Texas Parks and Wildlife/Game Wardens here are who you need to watch out for. It's kind of a built in "pissed off" mode for them from what I have gathered. They go to college for wildlife managment, and get stuck on a boat for the summer, watching drunk teenagers. Dreams of catching poachers and looking out across Big Bend=killed.
I've had Sherriff departments, Police departments, and constables (yes, the have constables on the lakes in TX), tie up to me to do safety checks. Very respectful, gregarious, and get on their way because I didn't have the droids they were looking for <force hand wipe>. The game wardens I have had board my boat have made me feel like I was absolutely incapable of driving a boat, nor operating a fire extinguisher, or throwing a float. BEFORE I had a few beers. Plus, no one at party cove is fishing for Bass out of season, so they are already pissed off. <rant over>
So I am not alone! Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries enforcement officers are the same. Many of them act as if they are pissed because they have to be out there. I've gotten to where I steer clear of the hot spots during the weekends and holidays.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I was told by someone the USCG cannot issue a DUI that goes against your driver license. Only local law enforcement like sheriff, city pd, etc. Is that true?
I posted this five years ago in the thread in the Boating Safety tab here on OSO:

If you get a BUI (or DUI) in New Jersey, e-mail me. I will help you.

I posted this information in July 2007. I hope this will help inform New Jersey boaters of the BUI.

"Yes, the officer can and do charge people with BUI/DUI if they cannot pass the physical (field sobriety tests, observation, odor of alcohol) .

Example: If a driver of a car is weaving and touches the yellow line in the middle of the road, and is pulled over, and he has the odor of alcohol on his breath the officer will conduct the road-side sobriety tests. Once the lights go on on the officers the car the tape starts rolling (on NJSP cars and most towns). If you fail the test, then you are arrested so DUI. The Alco-test (New Jersey's new machine that replaced the Breathalyzer) will be administered. If your Blood Alcohol Concentration is less than .08 (BAC) you are considered under the legal limit; HOWEVER, if you smell and act intoxicated, and cannot successfully comply with the officer's commands (field tests), you can be charged with DUI.

The burden of proof is on the Prosecution, but the now charged individual (the defendant), has to put on a defense, and that means spending $$$ on a lawyer. In most instances the DUI will be dropped. Most Prosecutor's with these marginal cases will accept a plea deal when you have a lawyer on these marginal case; I have never seen a .07 BAC or less DUI charge, let alone a person charged with a .03 BAC (and no drugs). That just BS.

You can be convicted in NJ based just on the physical observation; If the BAC reading has been deemed to be inadmissable due to a variety of possible reasons (lawyer finding the holes in the Prosecution's evidence to have evidence barred/inadmissible) it just makes my job a little easier. But if you are on tape unable to stand , arguing, slurred speech, looking like a drunk - that can be very damaging to the defense of the charge, pretty obvious.

If you are convicted for Boating Under the Influence, first offense and you BAC is between .08 and .09, loss of boating privilege for 1 year, loss of automobile privilege for 3 months, fine range of $250 to $400, two days (not less than six hours each day) at the IDRC (intoxicated Driver Resource Center usually on a Friday evening and on a Saturday) twelve hours.

If your BAC is .10 and above on a first offense (conviction) you will lose your automobile driving privilege for seven months to one year, fine range of $300 to $500, and IDRC,(and your actual New Jersey license which will be surrendered to the court at sentencing on both the .08 to .09 conviction and the .10 and above conviction) . Now these are just the plain vanilla charges, if there is personal injury there are enhanced penalties.

The court has the discretion to sentence you up to thirty days.

Other fines include, $200 to DWI enforcement, $50 Violent Crime Compensation Fund, $75 Safe Neigborhood Fund, $200 restoration fee, $150 IDRC (Intoxicated Driver Resource Center), $33 court costs - these fines/cost(s) are mandatory.

There is a NJ DMV surcharge of $1,000 a year surcharge for three years for sencond and third offense convictions.

Second Offense, two year loss of license (motor vehicle), plus more enhanced penalties.
Third Offense, ten year loss of license (ditto)

Hope some of this information is helpful to all. If you get caught, it is very costly.

PS, the charge for you computer literate researchers is ----
N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 Driving while intoxicated"

Stephen R. Jones, Attorney-at-Law (and performance boater)

Last edited by Smarty; 03-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.