Notices

LS vs Big Block

Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I think we are in the midst of a "Paradigm Shift" in Marine Propulsion and the LS architecture has taken a strong lead.
Sprink, I think you are correct.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the cruiser story I'm been telling this For 5 years but what do I know just try one and be amased
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered

I had the first cat with lS7 power in the world and Sam will have the second thirty skater with this power and will be cool his being blown and mine naturally aspirated
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know that the stock bottom end will handle almost 1000 HP.I think they may be the future common marine power.Notice mercury racing is now getting away from the old BB chevy style engine.JOHN SR
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Why do you think mercurys 1350 and 1100 is a brand new motor from the ground up new piece of paper not a old big block build
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered

We need some Turbo LS motors in a large twin application. I really think they would be a really awesome setup.

I already have superchargers but do the math on a pair of CMI's and you could have a good start on a twin turbo set-up using cast iron manifolds.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
I had the first cat with lS7 power in the world and Sam will have the second thirty skater with this power and will be cool his being blown and mine naturally aspirated
I am a huge fan of small blocks in cats. Hence my screen name Cat & Mice.

I had a 28 Daytona with twin Whipple charged SBC that ran 149mph on GPS. This was a 2002 boat. The motors made over 800hp each and tons of TQ. Everyone said the boat would not go over 100 mph. They were wrong. Would love to see a smaller skater with supercharged LSX.

It's all about power to weight. Cats do great when the loose a few pounds.

I wish merc Racing would have taken on the LSX

Eric if your reading this come on and give us a light weight 600-700 HP LSX.

MP
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by IROCDave
Before the LSx crowd gets the panties in a bunch, I have owned a couple in automotive applications. One of my younger brothers has a LS2 based forged 402 ported LS3 headed .620ish cammed nasty iin his 05 GTO. Every time I drive it I think man, this thing is stupid fast. It pulls low 11's in the 1/4 and he drives it to work almost every day. He has 50K on this build and other than being really hard on valve springs ( square lobed hydraulic rollers do this) it has been super reliable.

GM never built an LSx over 427 CI for a reason. The LSx engines can be spun up and produce great HP but that alluminum block will not hold up in a marine application. Big tourqe LSx engines are built off of the iron block LQ9 truck engines and have lots of boost applied. They can handle that well in a automotive application but a marine application put stresses on an engine from idle on up that the LSx engines were not designed for. When you start talking about aftermarket blocks and unlimited CI's everything changes but yet stays the same. What it really comes down to is cost to repower. Most people can reuse all of their accessories when repowering with a healthier BBC. Making the swap to an LSx engine will require all new accessories, i.e. exhaust manifolds, accessory drives and brackets, engine pounts, bell housings etc. This will double the cost of making the swap.
Bell housings? Derp
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered

The mercury bell housings work cmi and Hardin marine make tube headers it's a no brainier
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice
I am a huge fan of small blocks in cats. Hence my screen name Cat & Mice.

I had a 28 Daytona with twin Whipple charged SBC that ran 149mph on GPS.
HOLY SMOKES!!! Thats fast in a 28' cat. Ive had people tell me a 31 cat is sketchy over 115-120. Your crazy!! I will not be over 100 in my cat until I attend a high performance boating class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.