Notices

LS vs Big Block

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS vs Big Block

That should get every ones attention. I admit I have been busy with other hobbies lately so I have not been on this site in a while but I remember this being a hot topic to some of you a while back. Well I just wanted to sure this link with you guys to check out. A 490+ cubic inch naturally aspirated cathedral port LS motor making about 800 hp at 6200 rpms and over 600 ft lbs across the entire pull. I only wish they also posted the dyno sheet. Well here is the link if it works:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...00-horsepower/
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
That should get every ones attention. I admit I have been busy with other hobbies lately so I have not been on this site in a while but I remember this being a hot topic to some of you a while back. Well I just wanted to sure this link with you guys to check out. A 490+ cubic inch naturally aspirated cathedral port LS motor making about 800 hp at 6200 rpms and over 600 ft lbs across the entire pull. I only wish they also posted the dyno sheet. Well here is the link if it works:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...00-horsepower/
Is this on race fuel? I would think so but fuel is not mentioned anywhere.

I think the LS platform would be a great combo with SCX drives in smaller twin engine cats. The weight savings with an aluminum block would be huge.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a sweet setup! I had a LS base engine I built a few years back the biggest thing was the expense of every part. I never got to convert to the carb setup like they did thats big $$. Being a 6 bolt main style block they are tough though. If your looking to get a stand alone engine with the EFI & wiring harness look out! I sold mine after I wrecked the car & broke the corner off the block & damaged the head still got $3500 out of the engine parts & EFI & wiring harness. Although that being said I had about $1500 onto cam, springs, ECM, couple other small mods & got to 575 hp pretty quick & very easy. If I had the extra cash I would swap out my NA SBC's for a pair of carb or EFI LS's for sure!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Thats a sweet setup! I had a LS base engine I built a few years back the biggest thing was the expense of every part. I never got to convert to the carb setup like they did thats big $$.
Dry sump, front distributor drive conversion, obviously with 493 inches some sort of stroker crank big bore set up be interesting to the the cost. And the race gas question too.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a skeptic until my son started fooling with the one in his truck.He has a 6.0 in his truck stock bottom end comp.valve job cam,springs,headers with a procharger and a Tune.It makes so much power it is hard to control.It's a 2003 shortbed GMC pick up automatic trans.Runs High 11's at the track.Daily driver Way faster than any chevelle that my buddy has had and they had some pretty strong big block 454 and a 496 and a 502 in them.He has always said these motors in a boat would be bad ass,but the marine parts are so high.These motors weight nothing compared to a big block. Just my 2 cents. JOHN SR
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Loving it!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
the marine parts are so high.
Actually the parts are not that expensive anymore. I thought about putting a stock LQ4 6.0 in my parents 242 LS to replace the SBC that is in there now. The exhaust manifolds would cost about $1000.00 Not really that bad considering a good set of exhaust manifolds for a SBC would be about $500.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Could Bob Madera grind a custom cam for one of these?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Both Ilmore and Crusader are now building marine LS motors, so there should be more marine parts to choose from now...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Volvo Penta and Indmar have also replaced the 8.1's in their lineup with a LS engines. The 380hp Volvo LS engine outruns their old 8.1Mag.

The only marine propulsion manfacturer that does NOT offer LS engines is--------Mercury Marine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.