Notices

Worlds fastest Apache?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I agree with you that is big water. We see it on the Atlantic Ocean off the Jersey coast. Not many Offshore Power boaters want to try to run it. It's brutal! Lots of Apache Powerboats in these parts, maybe that's the reason. Some credible people say the 46 Skater can handle it also. I believe them.
6 to 8's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeUqU5L6bo
Not for nothing, all of OPA LOVES racing in NJ! Point Pleasant, Brick, AC...we love it all. Unfortunately since 2009 the towns just havent wanted us. Thanks to Dave P we are back!
I am VERY proud to say I took part in the last race to happen at Point Pleasant, and I really hope someday soon I can race there again.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfischer
Some big waves but no 8 to 10s. I'm not bashing anyone but when guys get on here and say they were running in those seas I call bs. There still isn't 1 video of guys racing in those seas so I highly doubt someone is out in that chit with there pleasure boat
Yep. We agree.

In TRUE waves, meaning a 6' wave is 12' from top-to-trough, any pleasure boater out there is there by mistake, got caught and when they get back to dock, should be thankful - then start putting stuff back together.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Not for nothing, all of OPA LOVES racing in NJ! Point Pleasant, Brick, AC...we love it all.
And I loved watching you guys out there! The last Pt Pleasant race I was at I volunteered as a sweep boat. I believe it was the day after a tropical storm or a nor easter. The ride down from Sandy Hook was fun!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

I agree with you that is big water. We see it on the Atlantic Ocean off the Jersey coast. Not many Offshore Power boaters want to try to run it. It's brutal! Lots of Apache Powerboats in these parts, maybe that's the reason. Some credible people say the 46 Skater can handle it also. I believe them.
6 to 8's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeUqU5L6bo
love that video!!! i love going to the races these days but watching these videos wish i could've witnessed that back then.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another video of that incredibly well balanced 47 Apache in somewhat rougher seas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwjMgDl02k

Can't wait to see this gas turbine powered one in action!
That is a fantastic vid almost makes it look not so rough the way that thing rides
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I know the old nova can take legit 6 footers... I stopped to take a leak and standing in the boat to tops of the waves were over my head... ran 30-35 mph straight down hill and it was better than any rollercoaster I have ever been on.. I really cant imagine going much faster in anything short of a frieghter and bringing it back in one piece.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
it was 1989 on Tuesday ...............

.............you can't take any boat and RACE fast in BIG waves for 75-100 miles (shorten course) and not have damage, Apache or not.
Whoa whoa WHOA~!!! What are you saying?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 AM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Originally Posted by phragle
I know the old nova can take legit 6 footers... I stopped to take a leak and standing in the boat to tops of the waves were over my head... ran 30-35 mph straight down hill and it was better than any rollercoaster I have ever been on.. I really cant imagine going much faster in anything short of a frieghter and bringing it back in one piece.
Huh????
Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Offshore racing ol' school...

The Skagerrak Across race from Norway to Denmark and back has been a tradition for more than 40 years. In 1972 that years World Champion to be, Bobby Rautbord, showed up with his 36' Cigarette 'Fino' and showed the vikings how it's done. During the last years races several million dollar boats have tried to win the race and couple have succeeded. Usually though, the winner and top contenders are found to be running ribs or extreme v-bottoms in the 25'-30' lengths with outboard engines with plenty of power. This years winner was a Norwegian rib, Goldfish 36 P1 SuperSport. The rib tops out close to 100 mph with tweaked Yanmar 380's. A fotnote; with twin Ilmor MV10 725's and Indy drives, the model has done 117 mph. I hope to see some Americans show up again(maybe already summer 2013?) and give the vikings a run for the money. 5'-10' seas are usually the norm, so bring heavy reliable artillery. Here's a video(from 2008) of the MTI cat that won the 2008 race and the second video is from the 2012 race. The white 28' Skater took the first leg over to Denmark due to the pretty calm conditions seen from it in the video. On the way back to Norway conditions got very tough and of all the boats seen in this second video only the winning rib(#93), the British small rib run by Gordon Compton(#E 3) and a 30' V-hull with a 28 degree delta bottom with twin 300XS, previously owned by myself, but here raced and owned by legendary Norwegian offshore racer, Dag Rudstrom were able to complete the race. If anybody has fotage from the return leg, please post since I haven't found any.
Video of 2008 race: http://youtu.be/owvfFU_39Kg
Video of 2012 race, leg one: http://youtu.be/hTregvXosZ8
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I wish I had some video of the rough days back in NJ but on those days the cameras were tucked away safely inside the cabin. A few memories I have was one time back in 1999 where there was a tropical storm off the coast and the swells were so large that you could not see the horizon to the east or west when down inside a trough. Another time was a large groundswell from another offshore storm while I was on my way from Sandy Hook, NJ to Fire Island Inlet for the Patchogue OPA races.

However, this was a lot smaller but still a fun day running by myself! Gets fun about a minute into it.
[YOUTUBE]ExbZfhvYlsA[/YOUTUBE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.