any thoughts on a Scarab Excel??

Notices

any thoughts on a Scarab Excel??

Old 10-09-2001, 11:23 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post any thoughts on a Scarab Excel??

Bentboat.com has an 1988 28' Scarab Excel, that sounds like an interesting project.
Anyone know anything about these boats?
It only has a 454 Mag, but it's apart and might be a good time to rebuild it and put a blower on it.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2001, 12:10 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i havea 26' excel (1987) its actually form what i heard 27' loa.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:50 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NADA is showing that this boat is 4600#.
Has an average retail value of only $12,700. That seems low, is it because of only haveing 365 hp?

Will this boat even hit 50 mph?

Maybe it's not an atractive project.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:20 AM
JIM H
Charter Member

i just finished a "project boat".take it from me if you cant steal the boat dont buy it. just my $.02 good luck
Old 10-10-2001, 12:53 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

jim what kind of project did you finish? don't you have a bertram sportfish?

as for hitting 50 you shoud be able to. I am having some engine problems now (rebuilding this winter FYI JIM it had nothig to do with the head gaskets and the "steam" in exhaust problems) as i result i could only spin a 19p mirage up to high 3000s sometime low 4000s and even at that i was getting just about 50. I am pretty sur emy roller trailer has also created a nice hook which is also slowing me down. As fo rteh weight it handles rough water pretty well because of it. Better than alot of other boats its size. Mine is rapidly turning into a project. I am pretty sure i am re-doign my cockpit as wel as the dash engine and maybe even drive upgrade.

Jim on another note. How is Jon doing?
Old 10-10-2001, 01:06 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had an 89 28 Excell, with 7.4l not Magnum. It did have a bravo though and would hit about 55 on the speedo. It was always a solid and reliable boat. The only problem I ever had was a leaking fuel tank. I found out the supplier had some quality control problems that year. This hull won a Powerboat magazine award the year it was introduced. My biggest complaint was the lack of stand up bolsters.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:42 PM
JIM H
Charter Member

puder john doing great!!
you are right it was the bertram and it nickled and dimed me to death,it's going to put off buying another speed boat for 1 year or so.it started out as a "steal" it faded real fast
see ya soon jim
also if you are going to repower and replace your drive maybe you should talk to john about a complete package it will save you money

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: JIM H ]
Old 10-10-2001, 03:33 PM
Mike J

Remember, When your 30 years old you want a Scarab that will do over 90.
When your 60 Years old 60 is fine.
When your 90 "Move to Florida" and
drive under 30 all the time.
Mike J.

Old 10-10-2001, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Payton

I looked at that boat also, I would suggest passing on it. Unless they give it to you, after a new motor ,interior, eletronics and rigging. You will spend more just in parts than you could ever get out of it. Not to mention if it has some rott in it.

My 2 cents
Old 10-10-2001, 07:05 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I have the same boat. I purchased it with a 400 hp motor and it went around 68mph. I am currently doing some major improvements. I'm installing a 600hp blower motor. hydraulic steering, k plains, gaffrig gauges, noses cone and other drive upgrades. I am contemplating on a drive box extension but I don't think it will be in the budget this year. Mine was already equipped with bolster seats, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The boat is excellent in the rough but I couldn't think of driving it with those sit-down seats. I am looking to try and push it in to the high 70mph range. another member on the board had one that did 94mph. If you are looking for a project just make sure you get it at the right price. good luck

Quick Reply: any thoughts on a Scarab Excel??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.