Notices

OT: "Phrases"

Old 07-23-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OT: "Phrases"

You know how people are always wondering how certain phrases came into being like "Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes" and "Remember the Alamo" and so on.

A lot of people are asking where the saying "You gotta be ****tin me" came from. It so happens I know.

Way back when George Washington was crossing the Delaware River with his troops. They were packed into the boats. It was extremely dark and storming furiously. The water was tossing them back and forth. Finally Washington grabbed Corporal Peters and stationed him at the front of the boat with a lantern. He ordered him to keep swinging it so they could see where they were heading. Corporal Peters stood up braving the wind and driving rain, swinging the lantern back and forth.

A while later a big gust of wind hit and threw Corporal Peters and his lantern into the Delaware. Washington and his troops searched for hours trying to find Corporal Peters but to no avail. All of them felt terrible for the corporal had been one of the their
favorites. An hour later Washington and his troops landed on the other side, wet and totally exhausted. He rallied the troops and told them they must go on. One of his men said, "General, I see lights ahead."

They trudged towards the lights and came upon a huge house there in the woods. What they didn't know was this was a house of ill repute hidden in the forest to serve all who came. General Washington pounded on the door, his men crowding around him.

The door swung open and the madam looked out to see Washington and all his men standing there. A huge smile came across her face to see so many men.

Washington spoke up, "Ma'am, I'm General George Washington and these are my men. We're tired and exhausted and desperately need warmth and comfort for a while."

Again the Madam looked at all the men standing there and, with a broad smile on her face, said, "Well general, you have come to the right place. We can surely give you warmth and comfort. How many men do you have?"

Washington said, "Well Ma'am, there are thirty two of us without Peters."

The Madam said, "You gotta be ****tin' me."

Last edited by Risk Taker; 07-23-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts