Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   HAVASU speed limit??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29396-havasu-speed-limit.html)

Semper Fi 07-23-2002 12:17 PM

HAVASU speed limit???

I was talking to someone yesterday that told me a friend of his is there every weekend and they are "supposedly" enforcing a 35MPH speed limit. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, there will be alot less boats going there.

Dean Ferry 07-23-2002 01:20 PM

That would truly SUCK!
But with all the NEGATIVE publicity in news lately about FAST boats crashing and such, I'm afraid it's something that all these local governments will look into! The boating related businesses on the Lake need to let the local gov't know how this will affect their businesses, (VERY BAD for Business!).
MD

CigDaze 07-23-2002 01:25 PM

Wow, a speed limit on Havasu?...That's not going to sit too well.

Havasu Hangin 07-23-2002 02:10 PM

Speed limit?

Not that I know of...most boats there barely idle at 35MPH. Maybe they were thinking of Castaic, as they are enforcing the 35MPH limit now...

A couple weeks ago we passed the Sheriff at 70MPH+ (with just a wave)...

Dean Ferry 07-23-2002 02:17 PM

Re: Speed limit?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Hangin
[B]...most boats there barely idle at 35MPH. QUOTE]

Man, I wish I could idle @ 35 MPH:(
Down here in Fl., the SMC calls 25 MPH zones, "High Speed" zones/corriders!!
MD

pullmytrigger 07-23-2002 02:32 PM

You people should check the "Total BS" thread..........

Havasu Hangin 07-23-2002 03:24 PM

Well Dean...

Originally posted by Dean Ferry
Down here in Fl., the SMC calls 25 MPH zones, "High Speed" zones/corriders!!
MD

...to me, 25MPH is high speed...if I'm on foot... ;)

25MPH on Havasu? I'm not sure anyone would drive to the middle of the desert, and bake in the 110+ heat*, so they could go 25MPH...

* But it's a dry heat

Dean Ferry 07-23-2002 03:39 PM

HH,
I agree completely!:cool: I've been to Lake "Havafew" numerous times myself, when I lived in Redondo Beach in late 80's, and it is a beautiful body of water. The point I was trying to make is that if the powers to be, (Local Gov't/Colorado River Authority/planning board, etc) get behind this issue, it will be hard to stop! What has happened here in Fl. is the SMC has convinced the state of Fl. that 25 MPH is High speed and that it's TOO FAST!! Hell, my boat will hardly stay on plane @ 25 MPH!
MD

Havasu Hangin 07-23-2002 03:51 PM

Alright...I've got the answers...

Originally posted by Dean Ferry
...The point I was trying to make is that if the powers to be, (Local Gov't/Colorado River Authority/planning board, etc) get behind this issue, it will be hard to stop! What has happened here in Fl. is the SMC has convinced the state of Fl. that 25 MPH is High speed and that it's TOO FAST!!
As an unbiased opinion, I advise you to do one (or more) of the following:

1. Run for office. I'll vote for you- then we will finally get a boater in a position of authority.

2. Move back to So Cal. Then you can help us keep the boating lobby on track (and get back to Havasu regularly for personal inspections). The "Lake Nazis" are currently trying to ban PWCs on Powell and Mead- are boats next?

3. Start drinking heavily. It won't help the situation, but it may not seem so bad.

:D

PS- Wait til you get my consulting bill...

thisistank 07-23-2002 04:31 PM

I'll let you know this weekend if I run in to any of the local law while I"m there!:D :D