Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008 >

Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008

Notices

Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008

Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast shafts
even though the imperial had the right of way, leaving the scene of the accident, with people seriously and fatally injured, is what most people find unconscionable. This was the ultimate in cowardly acts.

+1
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Even though the Imperial had the right of way, leaving the scene of the accident, with people seriously and fatally injured, is what most people find unconscionable. This was the ultimate in cowardly acts.
One day he will be judged, and not by man.
1) You are assuming he knew .

2) Apparently in a vessel it is not against the law to leave the scene as has been pointed out in this thread.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the Imperial had the right of way, leaving the scene of the accident, with people seriously and fatally injured, is what most people find unconscionable. This was the ultimate in cowardly acts.
I couldn't agree more.

I've never believed for one second the "I thought I hit a log" story, and not a single thing I've read from this trial has changed that. If anything, I read a few things that make me believe it even less.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been boating at night for 40 years, leaving at night to get to grounds by morning or just steaming all afternoon and through the night. We've hit plenty of things inland channel bouys, pallets, lobster bouys, a couple close calls with other boats, almost ran aground on Sandy Hook one night with radar and GPS - the water is strange at night.

I think the IMP traveling at say 35mph the Whaler at 25 mph, they hit, glance off each other or whatever by the time they stop they are a couple hundred feet apart. If the IMP does not shut his engine off and I don't think the people on the Whaler were screaming, maybe crying, moaning, etc. I don't think you would of heard them?

You might not have seen them, there boat heading was most likely changed, how long before the boat stopped after being hit, the driver (God Rest) was not driving at that time, the console is damaged? It's possible you don't see them or see them countinuing away from you and just didn't think you hit another boat?

I can see it happening from past experience, I would like to think that is how it happened and it was an accident because I would be hard pressed to think someone could be that evil to leave a damaged, maybe sinking boat with people screaming on it and just go home.

But two boys made bombs, set them off and went home and on with their lives as if nothing happened so anything is possible, there is more evil out there than most people want to admit.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 04-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Michael Kennedy, a boat accident investigator called by prosecutors, told jurors the bulb of the Imperial’s bow light showed signs it had burned out some time before the collision. An expert for the defense said the bulb was working and illuminated at the time of the crash.

So the prosecution has evidence that clearly shows the bulb was working the night of the accident and they supress it for 5 years, they then hire an expert witness to testify that in his opinion the bulb was not only off at the time of the accident, but not even in working condition - when they have a tape that clearly shows that it was? Then the prosecution goes for murder instead of manslaughter (as the charge clearly should have been). Just sickening and

very disturbing behavior on the part of the prosecution IMO.

I have no idea what really happened the night of the accident but what happened afterwards makes me want to puke.
Mike Kennedy races with theJersey outlaws Garvey club
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely ! ( Psalm 75:7 NLT )
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

story

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/20...ing_death.html
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pray that the Post family can somehow eventually find inner peace. A tragedy for them all the way through.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by IN10SE

I feel MaryAnn did a great job covering this case.
Kinda of shocked with the 1st line in her story here though, stating Digilio "never stopped" .
The 911 tape proved that he did indeed stop.

Think about the time from impact to the time the woman found her phone and actually called 911. All this time and I think it was up to 45 seconds into the call was when you heard the boat getting on plane to head to his boat lift across the river .

I have spoken to one of the Jurors after the verdict.
There was still much more the general public never heard.
I asked what the people on the Whaler were doing from the time they left (11:30PM) to take their guests home up until 1:14AM the time of the accident. The Juror stated rather than take their guests directly home they drove to the end of the Metedeconk . 1 hour 44 minutes later the accident occurred.
I asked if there was any mention of a cooler onboard the Whaler. He stated yes there was a cooler with empty alcoholic beverages onboard the Whaler.
The autopsy of Mr Post was performed 2 days later. It was stated no alcohol was found to be in his system .

While doing a little search, I wondered how "NO" alcohol was found when the body produces it's own ? Must have been very difficult to make that determination.

Quote: "Considerations
If the deceased person was involved in an accident or caused an event that injured or killed others, experts must take care to either confirm or rule out intoxication as a factor. Because alcohol production in the body after death is chemically the same as that from drinking, blood-alcohol content alone cannot determine whether the person consumed alcohol before death. The alcohol level of the person's urine may not give an accurate before-death picture either. The vitreous humour sample usually proves more useful in estimating intoxication, but in the end, the medical examiner must take into account the body's weight, age, sex, fat content, time of death and other factors."

from: http://www.ehow.com/about_5675437_alcohol-metabolism-after-death.html

Alcohol was obvious not any part of the case as there was no solid proof on either side that either driver was intoxicated.
But with the admission in the testimony, the passengers of the Whaler were drinking at dinner and evidence showed there was alcohol onboard the Whaler. It just might seem perhaps the passengers were not as attentive as (look outs) as the Prosecutor would like us all to think.

The State couldn't prove their case. Had they watched the video up until the time Digilio had left the Wharfside, perhaps this case would have never seen the court room.
Having a witness and video tape proving that Digilio did have his running lights on, it really made the State look totally wrong from the very beginning of the case while they stated they could proved the bow light was out.

I am sure this is far from over. A civil suit will most likely be brought. After all, the passengers on the Whaler have already had their civil suits against the Post Family as well as Digilio.

Prayers to all involved with this tragic accident.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Bill Toughening Penalty for Leaving the Scene of Boating Accidents Advances

http://pointpleasant.patch.com/group...4=picks-1-post

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !