Notices

Boat upholstery

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boat upholstery

Has anyone tried painting there cockpit upholstery and had any success? I need to do a little area and don't feel like ripping apart the interior.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You talking about the vinyl? If so, I wouldn't you might have better luck staining it though. Painting or staining in the cockpit could get seriously messy, I would think the prep work would be about the same as just taking it out.

I'm sure someone else will chime in that knows more then I.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago I tried it with a prior boat--it was the WORST decision Ive ever made. You will be ok painting areas of vinyl that dont flex (side panels for example) but anything that bends (seats) is a disaster. The paint will crack and flake off. You will be left with a seat that looks like poop and your boat will be a mess. PLUS all that flaking paint flies around in the wind and sticks to people! DONT DO IT.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried it once on my old Formula 272. Never again. It looked great at first, then the paint(white) started turning yellow and wearing off. Ended up looking like .
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered

I used Vinyl paint by http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I restored a 75 blazer and the remarkably good condition seats didn't match the paint so with nothing to loose i tried this stuff.
That was five years ago and it still looks good.
I found it works better if you give the vinyl a quick rub with acetone to soften it up before painting to get good adhesion.
But like they say try it in a spot you can't see first.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

PM mild thunder.....he did it to his boat a couple years ago
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by pi75
I used Vinyl paint by http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I restored a 75 blazer and the remarkably good condition seats didn't match the paint so with nothing to loose i tried this stuff.
That was five years ago and it still looks good.
I found it works better if you give the vinyl a quick rub with acetone to soften it up before painting to get good adhesion.
But like they say try it in a spot you can't see first.
Did the same thing on an '87 Chaparral Villain looked great and lasted. Also did an 18' Starcraft

Also Mild Thunder posted a pic of his interior that he did in red on a thread a while back and looks great.
Here's the thread
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...vinyl-die.html

Last edited by Rookie; 04-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Temporary fix. I have did a post a while back that showed my Velocity cockpit. THe vinyl was still pliable and soft, just had no color. SO I used white vinyl dye to get me through the first season. It did the job... But had to be careful when cleaning. And it got a little tacky in the hot sun. My wife got her leg stuck to it few times...... So we just put down towels. If you only need a temp. fix, it will get you by, but I wouldn't plan on it being a perm. solution....

I used SEM vinyl dye. As with any coating, prep work makes all the difference.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Registered

It looked good on mine for like 2 weeks then as others have said it flaked and cracked and chipped off looking like hell.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had a problem with chipping or flaking.. one has to remember vinyl dye is just that a dye, not paint. So it has to be applied like a dye. I has to soak into the vinyl, not sit on top. A big factor would be prep. Most people use a protecting on their vinyl, so that has to be completely removed. That alone can keep the dye from penetrating the vinyl. Once the surface appears clean, clean it 3 more times.... Even if prepped right, I would still say it is a temporary fix. Especially on seating areas. Using on side panels, if cleaned with very light cleaners, might last a while...