Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
looking to buy or lease boat factory on the water.help? >

looking to buy or lease boat factory on the water.help?

Notices

looking to buy or lease boat factory on the water.help?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
You may want to check here in Baltimore MD. The old Sparrows Point ship yard is basically dormant and owned by an investment company. And they have huge environmental clean up issues. If you were to come in with a green company and take some space I suspect the state, city, and Feds would be very responsive. And they likely would have cash in some form or the other. You could be the start of the changeover to new uses and be a hero at the same time. Give me a job in marketing after you move in okay?
Ted. Possibly a good idea, but since I do Environmental and clean up consulting, you really have to know what you getting your self into. Clean up operations could cost many millions, even if the feds enty up a bit. All depends what's in the soils, and ground water. DEP will not make it easy. The longer DEP delays and "oversees" the clean up activities, (SRAP or even just ground water monitoring data, the longer they have a job. These "clean ups" last decades, and decades.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Good luck to you. You need to be near a Sea port. Both for incoming and outgong products. Shipping steel to your "boat yard would kill you, as well as shipping something out NOT NEAR Port. Lousiana may be good, but raw materials are hard to get there. Jacksonville, Tampa. would be my first choice. Both will have anything you need and you can get anything "big" out. Miami and Ft. Lauderale too expensive at the moment. (besides I won't go to Miami for all the tea in China) I know Jax and Tampa well and there is a company building "big" floating "stuff" in Tarpon Springs. (Just saw the Owner a week or so ago.) Sarasota may be OK as well, and of course there are some "factories" idle all around Fl. West coast. Let me know if I can help. P

thanks fo the info. I hope we dont have to go to florida. I am a big baby with the heat! but if we dont find something soon, we'll be down to see ya. do you work around any other areas or mostly florida? Thanks,Joe
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about the Great Lakes?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 800XCR
What about the Great Lakes?
I thought about that. Someone else said, that too. Problem is we have customers on the east coast right now and getting the boats to them would be a problem 40 feet wide, 85 long and three stories tall is hard to trailer. But let me know of any places you thinkof because we may need to branch out if this all goes well. Thanks joe.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
I thought about that. Someone else said, that too. Problem is we have customers on the east coast right now and getting the boats to them would be a problem 40 feet wide, 85 long and three stories tall is hard to trailer. But let me know of any places you thinkof because we may need to branch out if this all goes well. Thanks joe.
That is not a problem, you can always drive it out to the ocean. it is actually a nice trip.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
That is not a problem, you can always drive it out to the ocean. it is actually a nice trip.
Dont you have to through locks or something to get out? Isnt there a large fee?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Dont you have to through locks or something to get out? Isnt there a large fee?
Yes you do have to go through several locks. Depending on which lake you are on it varies to get out to the ocean. However the fees for the locks is not all that much, however, pilot fees are pretty expensive. Last time I went from lake Ontario to the ocean, we had to have a pilot on the entire time from the Welland Canal on Lake Ontario, until pretty much just after Quebec city. That was probably 5 grand. However, if you are talking about a 85 foot tri deck, that is a small portion of what the operating budget for the boat should be, and it is essentially a delivery fee. Every yacht that goes on the great lakes has to deal with pilots, and many ports around the world. It really is a very small percentage of the cost of ownership.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe check into some existing shipyards and partner with them, the Navy has put a halt on a lot of ship re-fits so they may be looking to diversify, some local Norfolk yards are Colonnas and Lyons
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete280
maybe check into some existing shipyards and partner with them, the Navy has put a halt on a lot of ship re-fits so they may be looking to diversify, some local Norfolk yards are Colonnas and Lyons
I had also thought this would be a good idea....instead of having to crew/employee up for some very specific and skilled trades you would just contract with someone that already has all of that in place

and instead of needing to own and operate a facility and all that comes with it someone else already has that taken care of

and instead of having to source materials and supplies and build a supply chain you are dealing with someone that has all of that already and you might possibly even benefit from their volume of purchases on the price of materials
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered

There the Dyrector shipyard in Bridgeport,Ct. plenty of space and dockage..