Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws? >

Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws?

Notices

Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Assessments stem from te city puttin in sewer and water. They can be upwards of $20000. That was one of my requirements when I bought. Also I'm 33 and thoroughly enjoy te area. I live near midpoint bridge. I idle about 20 mins to the river. Then I'm on plane. That 20 mid is useful for us as we just loaded boat and wife is usually organizing everything anyhow. Lol
Is that the Manatee Zone signs I see that is a no plane area?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Some are slow speed only. Some areas are regulated to like 35 mph. But yes it's all generally due to manatee zones. My 20 minute idle is out of my canals. Once I get in the river I get on plane instantly. One small idle speed area just south of Cape Coral parkway and then the miserable mile before the gulf.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Coastal is a home delivery fuel service. I use them for the two Dorals.....cause it takes an hour at the dock.....

Mike is well informed.

Cape Coral started putting in City sewer and City water around 1998. They started in the most densely populated zones and assessments were about 9-13k. When I bought my first home here, the realtor warned of assessments and that I demand the seller pay off the 2600 balance. Back then, they just sent you ANOTHER statement every month.

Back in 2004/2005, the city was recognized as the third most densly populated as our numbers went above the 500k mark. To support the infrastructure, leaders and planners came up with a second water treatment center located nearly in the center of the Cape to help service the three existing areas that are on well and septic.

As the existing plant became over taxed, they discontinued the expansion of the original treatment plant and there are still well and septic homes in the southwest cape. The city became broke (bankrupt) when the mass exodus occured in late 05 as people were loosing 10's of thousands in equity per month. I hung on and lost 400k overall.

With depleted tax collections, and about every third home abandoned.....the city stopped construction on the new water treatment facility and it sits unfinished today. I think there is a 13m shortfall......so,,,,,they figured that they would increase the assessments and cover the gap.

There are a bunch of folks pissed because they have been paying, but do not have the service.

Now, they want 20k and it is paid before construction begins....but if you buy a teardown like mine, you are good to go.

If you decide that route, call Doug at Community Homes. They are excellent and without the brand name tax that comes with Aubashon (sp)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
We went to settlement this morning. I realize that no one will believe me....but it's almost 10PM and we are still awake!!!!!
Congratulations! You picked an excellent time to buy a house around here- prices are going back up!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Talked to Coastal today, they told me 50 gal minimum, which is no big deal, boat has a 160 gal tank and I don't ever get gas unless I need at least 80 gal, most of the time over 100, anyway if you get 75 gal or more it's the cheapest, today anything over 75 gal was $4.62, I checked Rumrunners today and it wasn't any cheaper than that.

They come to your house and pump it, sounds like I'll be giving Coastal a try here real soon, oh, and that was for 90 octane (no ethanol)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

That is very good to know. Thanks again. Will fly down this weekend again to check some more properties on the good side of the lock. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Registered

I'm gonna have to call coastal
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'm gonna have to call coastal

Coastal's number 239-673-7850

Oh, and by the way there's FMO run this weekend if you're down here.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Ill be home tomorrow. Gonna get up with you. My pop is doing bad so the call could come anyday now and ill have to run to Maryland. If all this works out I plan on coming on sat.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Try using "trulia" application if you have an iPad. I have a couple of friends that are looking and we have been using this app. We stopped by the new model home just down from rum runners and it is very nice. Cape correl prices have recovered a little better than punta gorda. Realtor's comment was that the banks are holding the repo's off the market so that the market isn't flooded as bad as it was a couple of years ago. Seems to be working the prices up a bit. The salesman at the model home says that he can put you in a new house for about the same price as an older home. He is probably right but you would have a very limited selection of lots. Good luck in your search and consider looking up in punta gorda as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.