Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Slight mishap at launch today... >

Slight mishap at launch today...

Notices

Slight mishap at launch today...

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Slight mishap at launch today...

So I was bored today, took a ride to the harbor to check launch ramp conditions, as Lake Michigan lake level is down a lot. Pulled up and saw this guy launching a 34 Sea Ray. Parked my truck and had to see how it would go for him. He was already backed in at that point, and was going over some stuff with the customer he was launching for. Boat actually got off the trailer ok. Then he attempted to pull the truck and trailer out. UH-OH! Stuck. Trailer axle on passenger side of trailer, completely off the ramp.

He asked since I had my dually, if I can give him a tug, as he was spinning all 4 tires. Hooked the strap up, and still nothing, both trucks just spun the tires. At that point, I said "this aint gonna work''.

I had suggested to him that if he had a floor jack, only thing I can see working is getting in that water, and jackin up the trailer. Considering the water is probably barely 40*, and he was a long way from home, he wasn't in the mood for that just yet.

I gave him the number to a wrecker outfit ive used in the past. They dispatched out, and he called his Girlfriend to bring him some waders.

Wrecker arrives first. Driver hooked the winch cable to his tow hooks, and tugged on it. Wouldn't budge, and I wasn't digging the creaking noise the truck/trailer was making!

After a while the GF showed up with some waders. He got into the water with the floor jack, jacked the trailer frame up, wrecker winched it and rolled right up.

Trailer fender sustained some damage, but after all that not bad. I actually knew the guy launching the boat, and the wrecker driver, who is also a boater. So he didn't beat him up to bad on the charges.

I stuck around until everything was done, as I felt for the guy. He was all by himself, and he's been hauling/workin on boats for a long time. It was just one of those things, and he was prob more concerned with making the customer happy then realizing what he was doin with the trailer. Glad it all worked out for him.

Rather than Monday morning quarterback the guy, I figured i'd help since I may be there someday in that spot! Moral of the story, be careful with the lake levels this season! FYI, several seasons ago, I used to launch a 40' here. And I'd be able to step off the concrete wall into my cockpit and back off trailer. Now you can see where the cockpit would be. Just to give a general idea of the lake level changes.
Attached Thumbnails Slight mishap at launch today...-trailerburnham3.jpg   Slight mishap at launch today...-trailerburnham2.jpg   Slight mishap at launch today...-trailerburnham4.jpg  

Slight mishap at launch today...-trailerburnham1rotateww.jpg  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-14-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow not going to launch there. Was at Hammond last week I couldn't see the end of the ramp. Not sure if that s good or bad

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Been there and seen that! When I was younger I worked at a marina next to the public boat ramp. Luckily the marina had a small barge and crane that they used for putting docks in... In one evening I think we picked 3 trailers.... That was one lesson I did not have to learn the hard way.........
Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks . but what sucks more is the water level . that's shocking to see how low it really is . I thought I read once they were selling the lake water to overseas or something to that affect . it was the internet though
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

yes it is going to be a real chalange at most all the ramps around the Great Lakes this year, so I would like to think that we can all reach out and help one another when these situations do come up this season. good job Mild for sticking around to assist them!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched the same thing happen a few years ago but it was summer and had the whole ramp shut down . I called a friend of mine over in his bayliner cruiser and we dropped his anchor hooked the back crossmember and winched up the trailer for the guy . He tried to pay us for our help but we had a good time and were the hero's so that was payment enough .

Those ramp drop offs will bust trailers like nothing .
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I've done it. Launching dads 30 scarab cc at sate park in Panama City. Just went back a smidge too far. I too ended up spinning all 4 wheels but I gave it a good pre loaded yank and got it to pop up. Only "damage" was the axle u bolt slid. Had to to loosen straighten and re tighten. Very frustrating when it happened.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
I watched the same thing happen a few years ago but it was summer and had the whole ramp shut down . I called a friend of mine over in his bayliner cruiser and we dropped his anchor hooked the back crossmember and winched up the trailer for the guy . He tried to pay us for our help but we had a good time and were the hero's so that was payment enough .

Those ramp drop offs will bust trailers like nothing .
Its funny you say that. When It first happened I kept thinking, man, how can we lift the back of that trailer up a bit??? I asked him if the guy he just launched (34 cruiser) had a windlass, and suggested dropping it and tryin to hook it to the rear of the trailer, and winch it back in. I didn't think it would take a whole lot of upwards force. But didn't seem like he wanted to ask his customer for that favor at that point just yet. Which I can understand. It was very windy today, and that coulda got interesting.

I was getting worried about his truck too. It was a shiny new F350 dually lariat. The rear wheels were well into the water. I don't know how deep the water is there after the ramp ends, but it has to be several feet deep at least. Had the truck gone in, only way it woulda came out is with divers and a crane.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We launched 3-4 times at Divrsey t the end of last season knowing the last axle or so was off the ramp. Guess that isn't going to happen this Spring!! Scary levels. I think you may see for the first time this year that its imperative to watch your depths everywhere while running near shore and outlying points.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
We launched 3-4 times at Divrsey t the end of last season knowing the last axle or so was off the ramp. Guess that isn't going to happen this Spring!! Scary levels. I think you may see for the first time this year that its imperative to watch your depths everywhere while running near shore and outlying points.
This guy launches at all the marinas. He told me diversery is even worse than burnham (ramp in thread) right now. Earlier today he had launched a 38 at 31st and it went ok.

But yes, I agree. I'll bet many of the harbors depth and slip depths could be an issue!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.