If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    1988 32' Pachanga

Oh Engine Gods, I need some advice.....

I need some advice from you Engine Gods. I just got my mint, beautiful, totally awesome 1972 back from the engine shop last night. Had a brand spanking new 454 put in it. Drove it for about 2 hours last night and it ran fine, and when I started it this morning it made the most awful rattle in the world. Drove it back to the engine shop and the mechanic confirmed what I thought: the cam went bad (exhaust lobe).
    So now what? Is it as simple as just replacing the cam or do I need to make certain he does more work than just the cam?
    Thanks guys...

My Boats:
    little cat...BIG MOTOR
    Aurora Ontario
    that lobe went somewhere.think about all that metal swimming in your oil the very least you might want to drop the pan and clean it out,check a bearing or two as well and change the oil about 3 times this week.

p.s.sorry to hear about your problems,who did the cam break in?

Was it a flat tappit cam? Sounds like the breakin didn't occur. Are the springs too heavy for the cam type? The procedure for break-in on a flat tappit is engine primed with an oil pump primer, distrib in and set at tdc and ready to fire, fire the engine and take it up to 15-1700 rpm for 20plus minutes to break in the cam.This allows the lifters to "find" the cam and rotate when its running. Set the timing during breakin to smooth it out.

My Boats:
    24 Skater
    Fort Myers, Florida

Flat tappet cam break-in

On my drag car~

I like to run the outer springs only during break-in on a solid lift cam. They can wipe during break-in otherwise.

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven
    G-Force, have them change the main bearings regardless. As was stated above, the metal went some where, and the bearings are the first place in the oil flow pattern. You got some kind of warrantee, right?????

By the way, now you know how I felt this past May!!!! Got one mile from the ramp, no more cam!!! And I did the break in correctly.
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!