Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sealant between drive and bell housing??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29474-sealant-between-drive-bell-housing.html)

blackhawk 07-24-2002 01:13 PM

Sealant between drive and bell housing???

Pulled my drive yesterday and noticed that there was water inside the gimbal boot. Also, water under the shift linkage cover. Gimbal boot apppears to be fine, no rips, tears, holes, etc. So, I am thinking that the water is seaping in between the bell housing and the drive itself. I cleaned it the surfaces and I am going to re-install the drive tonight.

It blows my mind that there is no gasket in-between there. Should I use a little gasket type sealant on the face of the bell housing and/or drive to seal it better?

Any other places the water could be coming from that I am missing?

blackhawk 07-24-2002 02:43 PM

C'mon, someone, anyone? Help!!!

mr_velocity 07-24-2002 02:49 PM

Don't need sealent. There are tow O-rings, one around the shift cable the other around the water passage. The drive seals to the end of the bellows (gimbal boot as you call it) so the neck of the drive must be clean and the bellows must be installed properly, seated correctly in the gimbal. I had the same problem and notices that the drive had a few nicks but the problem was the end of the bellows got hard over time so I didn't get a good seal. You may have to replace the bellows, it isn't that hard but you do need the plastic tool to press in the end in the gimbal.

blackhawk 07-24-2002 03:13 PM

I had a few nicks also so I cleaned them up. It was obvious by the shape(raised outside edge) of the drive that it is SUPPOSE to seal where they bolt together. But, how can it seal to the bellow when there is that metal sleeve inside the bellow?

blackhawk 07-24-2002 07:09 PM

Anyone?

mr_velocity 07-24-2002 08:35 PM

Take a look into the end of the gimbal, the sleeve doesn't touch the gimbal there is a 1/4 space all the way around. This is where the neck of the drive seals, it butts against this surface. There are no metal to metal seals on the drive.

blackhawk 07-24-2002 11:01 PM

Damn, already installed the drive! I looked for the obvious and didn't see anything. I cleaned everything up really well and got rid of a couple of small burrs. I will run it tomorrow and then pull the drive again to check everything. At least I am getting good at taking the drive off and putting it back on!

DJD 07-25-2002 09:38 AM

I was told long ago and still do it today, use grease around the drive. Just slap it on (don't have to be neat about it) and when the drive is bolted down & grease oozes out or the edges, simply wipe away