If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:

Is anyone else getting viruses from OSO members??

I recieved two viruses in the last three days from an email address that i didn't recognize (but it had "boat" in it). Both times the virus was killed by my server's norton software before it even reached me. I then responded to the person and found that he is an OSO member.

Then i recieved an email from someone else saying "who are you". This was in reply to an email i apparently sent him which contained a virus. I responded that i didn't send that to him, and that we both must be in an address list of an infected machine, and the machine is sending viruses using other email addresses as the sender.

Then in talking to him, I figured out he also is an OSO members.

So....either there just happens to be someone else (OSO member) that has all three of us in thier address book sending viruses, OR.....the OSO server is sending them.

Anyone else getting them?

Brad Perry
    I've seen a couple in the last year.

As most of you know the latest virus's have been designed to attack ones computer and then spread by attaching themselves to each and every e-mail address that person has ever sent to and in some cases received from. In some cases we have seen that the actual virus sits dormant in ones computer for a pre-determined time and then triggers itself.

I can assure you that most likely there is no malicious intent other than from the sick person that started it originally. Some people are not even aware that they passed it along.

OSO receives no less than 20 virus's a day and uses Norton 2002 to fight the problem. No one knows where they will ever start or end.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Reindl Powerboats's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Reindl 28 Vamp, Reindl One Design
    Very true.
    Just make sure you send a reply if you are not sure what is being sent, even if you know someone, they can do a lot of damage.

My Boats:
    1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports
    Monroe, LA
    Actually, I have seen some beautiful girls on this board with whom I would love to share viruses.

All kidding aside, did you have to open any attachments, or do anything besides view the message to get the virus?

My Boats:
    Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
    Bell Canyon, CA
    I think I caught the flu from sharing that needle with DMan.