Notices

Stain on vinyl

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

roll off and a magic eraser. If that cannot get it off, it is not meant to be cleaned.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

The sun will get it eventually.

Several years ago we partied all night and a friend spilled red wine all over my seats and it never got cleaned up for a couple days - I couldn't get it out to save my life with ANYTHING. Couple weekends later I looked up and it was gone.....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a steamer....cheap little portable unit from Wally world.

As you steam it, you will notice it becomes very pliable. Whipe with a clean, dry white cloth....diaper....sock...towel...

This opens the vinyl and the heat attracts the dirt to the top.....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
The sun will get it eventually.
+1

My sister-in-law sat in my Talon with a new, unwashed, red swimsuit. Had a major red stain on my white rear seat and nothing would get it out. Couple days in direct sun and all was gone.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I tried that once after some dumb c#*%t fell in my boat walking across the boats to the bar in black heels, brand new Sunsation. Acetone melts vinyl. Not a good choice...

If the magic eraser or Soft scub doesn't touch it I don't know what will...
Acetone will eat the vinyl if you let it sit on it. If you dab it like I said it may get the stain out. We use to do that at a marina when nothing else worked. Treat with a protectant after. I have done it on my own boats as well. Have never melted the vinyl.

Not my first choice but if nothing else works it may.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

With most of these options, make sure it's not applied anywhere near the stitching/thread. It will eat hem up.

I always did the bleach white with a soft bristled brush and scrubbed in a circle. I always followed up with soapy water and vinyl protectant. Acetone is def the last resort. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Acetone will eat the vinyl if you let it sit on it. If you dab it like I said it may get the stain out. We use to do that at a marina when nothing else worked. Treat with a protectant after. I have done it on my own boats as well. Have never melted the vinyl.

Not my first choice but if nothing else works it may.
I can agree. But it could be disastrous if in the wrong hands...
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most vinyl suppliers with suggest mild soap and water first, then rubbing alcohol, and lighter fluid as the strongest cleaner. Even a quick swipe of acetone is guaranteed to remove whatever stain guard the vinyl is treated with. Direct sunlight is another great option before you damage the vinyl with too much scrubbing.

XT
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Registered

Zep vinyl cleaner has gotten a ton of red stains out of my white vinyl. It's hard to find but works great. Dam kids had bug spray on one night and had red stuff on their hands, I don't think they were happy until they touched every dam seat in the boat. It kind of sizzles when you spray it on, you can see the red come to the top of the foam. Last stuff I got, I had to buy a case off eBay.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

The sun light idea is funny as I kept a towel over it for the rest of the weekend down there as I was afraid the sun would set the stain.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.