Notices

Florida boat title help

Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Florida boat title help

Bought a boat a while ago and just a few days ago I went to register it.
I kind of know what happened over the years and why and now I'm thinking about fixing it or maybe not.
The boat was built in Arizona in the 1950's (no vin #s or titles). It then made it's way to Washington state, Texas and then to Florida in the late 70's early 80's. I guess Florida needed a title at the time and the owner never having one went ahead and titled it as a "home built" and then it just got ugly from there. Either some false info was given (known or unknown or not caring) or it must have been a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon at the DMV because there was so much wrong with it. Nothing to make you think there was any funny business but more like carelessness.
There was boxes to be numbered on the Florida title for a description and if you looked up all the numbers the boats description was, a home built, inflatable, inboard, with an outboard, that had no HP (or no motor), etc, etc. All stupid mistakes like it being an inflatable, they put a #4 in the box instead of the #5 that meant fiberglass. To be honest it looked like they filled in box #2 with box #1's answer and #3 with #2's and so on. Who knows?
From there it went to Pennsylvania and they just went off of FL's title (or just maybe they were the ones who screwed it up but but I'm thinking it was FL) and the last title was issued for it in 1986.
Knowing that the boat spent most of its time on privet lakes and such I'm sure know one cared until now. I'm not worried about its ownership either. I found a tag buried in one of the rotten stringers and what was left of it matched the PA title
So I'm down at DNR (Maryland Dept of Nat Resources) with my folder of paperwork and pictures. I know exactly what the boat is and what year and have the proof. I'm thinking if I get a friendly clerk I may be able to get some of the stuff straightened out when getting a new title. There was a lot of people there (normally empty) and the clerk was friendly enough but I didn't get the attention I was hoping for. I did get all the little things fixed. Its now fiberglass, inboard with a Chevy motor, etc so the description is right. It's just the title still doesn't say what the boat really is. It does now say it is a "custom" instead of "home built" but the style is still "unknown" and the length is off by a foot.
DNR told me that since they didn't issue the vin number Florida would have to fix it and if I could bring them something saying they did they will re-issue a new title with the right info on it. Anyone ever try to fix something like this? Or am I "looking in a gift horses mouth" so to speak? I have a new MD title and registration and it's 100% legal to go. Just would like the right info on the title because the boat is what it is.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't know which office you went to but there is a clerk at the Dundalk branch who was very helpful when I titled a NY back to MD boat last year. Just a short hop across the Key Bridge to Holibard Ave. Good Luck
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, lucky you. I'm still waiting for the title to come back from Il. for the Magnum. DNR wouldn't accept because someone had changed the color with a black pen. Of course when calling the people in IL, they acted as tho they did not want to do anything, that the title was perfectly acceptable to them.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry I missed you guys.
Thanks Sonic, I've been there before. I think I got all I can fixed out of Maryland without Florida being involved. I was kind of happy with my "paperwork State from hell" for once. I'm thinking I may just hold on for now and save this fight for another day.

Tom, That's the issue with boat from out of state that are not as strict as MD. If you buy a boat from MD you can take it anywhere and have any and all paperwork you would ever need. I did buy a boat from NY once. Thought it was going to be a nightmare being the guy I bought it from gave a hand written bill of sale with almost nothing on it and a registration card (expired for years) about the size of a business card. Took it to DNR and was done in 5 minutes.
Now if you know anyone in Tennessee.....
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Oregon it's a pretty easy exercise. There are several companies out there, but one such is Oregon Lien Service.

If you ever need to fix something, you claim it abandoned and file for a storage lien. If there is no visible evidence as to the "make / model" etc. you kinda make it up or provide as much evidence as you have and file your paper work that way.

You state it as you see it and can be verified as such. i.e. construction method, length, weight (lots of open scales around), color, engine type, propulsion type, fuel type, etc.

They prepare the paper work, you pay $75 and they hand you all the docs necessary to get you a correct title.