Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need naval engineer or architect. have question. >

need naval engineer or architect. have question.

Notices

need naval engineer or architect. have question.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Dont get me wrong. I am not trying to sound like a know it all, iam not. Every man has to know his limitations. The only reason i said i could design and have an engineer go over it, is because we have been waiting for months for our people to finish some designs for us now.... we got them back , and guess what, they are nothing like what we asked for..... so i must " design" or draw something, then give it to someone competent to " engineer" ,thats what i am getting at. You cant just say i want red. You have to give them an example. And i dont have time to wait for 5 different people to show me their idea of red, when i can just show them and they can tell me how to makeit work and save a lotof time. When i design or "draw " a building or a prototype vehicle that i am building, then i give to an engineer, and he "engineers" it , and gives me back the plans. Thats the normal way it works.

What is the difficult part of the mecanical systems you spoke about? Engine and drive placement?
Center of gravity?
Hull displacement?
Heating and cooling?
Electric distribution?
Thats the easy stuff. Thats all done.
This is a 150,000 lbs vessel not a speed boat. YET

I value your input. Do not think i am being sarcastic. Sometimes its hard to tell in type...

I used to spend a lot of time on here helping people with problems they had with their boats, trucks, trailer, house, whatever.. now i figure the great people on OSO may be able to return a little help. Thank you, joe
"The only reason i said i could design and have an engineer go over it, is because we have been waiting for months for our people to finish some designs for us now.... we got them back , and guess what, they are nothing like what we asked for..... "

As I said before you must go into your project with a solid statement of requirements, and specs for what you want on the vessel...If you dont have experience in this area a competent Nav. Arch can help you put it together as well.

As far as the difficulty in engineering the mechanical side of things space is going to drive alot of your decisions. You have to be able to plan before building the space requirements for all of those systems and how you are going to route them through the public spaces, this can drive decisions for the entire project from the location of a run of conduit, to requiring modifications to the structural design. The "Green" systems that you talked about in your other posts also tend to be space intensive and require a lot of ancillaries all of which needs to be considered.

At a basic first pass level you can get an idea of the strength required by the vessel by treating it like a simply supported beam. This is a simple way of accounting for wave forces as it basically treats the boat as if it were sitting on the crests of two waves at the bow and stern.

Last edited by MIskier; 04-23-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIskier
"The only reason i said i could design and have an engineer go over it, is because we have been waiting for months for our people to finish some designs for us now.... we got them back , and guess what, they are nothing like what we asked for..... "

As I said before you must go into your project with a solid statement of requirements, and specs for what you want on the vessel...If you dont have experience in this area a competent Nav. Arch can help you put it together as well.

As far as the difficulty in engineering the mechanical side of things space is going to drive alot of your decisions. You have to be able to plan before building the space requirements for all of those systems and how you are going to route them through the public spaces, this can drive decisions for the entire project from the location of a run of conduit, to requiring modifications to the structural design. The "Green" systems that you talked about in your other posts also tend to be space intensive and require a lot of ancillaries all of which needs to be considered.

At a basic first pass level you can get an idea of the strength required by the vessel by treating it like a simply supported beam. This is a simple way of accounting for wave forces as it basically treats the boat as if it were sitting on the crests of two waves at the bow and stern.
Maybe we could talk about it? It would be easier to explain my question that way. Maybe you would like to be involved with the project?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Maybe we could talk about it? It would be easier to explain my question that way. Maybe you would like to be involved with the project?
Thank you for the offer, but unfortunately the company that I am working for does not allow it Engineering staff to work on outside projects.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

boot. ! While really no on here knows exactly what you are trying to do, don't shrug off their comments.
You are referencing an "i" beam. Or are you really want a "Wide flange" beam, WF. There are tables all over the net to show deflections and strengths of materials. I never built a barge of a floating vessel, but I have build structures over water and the wave actions need to be designed and not all that simple as you think. Besides the "actual deflection" upon a vertical or horizontal load you have to concider flexing, tortion. moments and alike. A floating vessel will have ALL of those and in a variable dynamics configuration. Meaning loads and strees will move. From the top of my head I would say it is similar to seismic loads like the building we build and design in CA. THey are not "stiff" like buildings in Chicago. With seismic and variable load and stress conditions things need to move. Then you got expansion coefficients based on air and water temperatures and differences. The size of vessel you are referencing, I would not even consider a “solid” beam. “I” or WF, or even a structural tube, but a tri angular or tubular joist system like cranes have. Cranes allow for flexing, in several direction. An experienced designer would save you a world of hurt.

Last edited by PARADOX; 04-24-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think something like you are describing has to have a USCG certfication doesnt it? I would think they would want to see engineered drawings from a Naval Architect, I have no experience in this just guessing. My buddy that I posted has been doing it for 20 yrs, give him a call.