Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need  to manufacture a new style power tool. boat related . who can do it? >

need to manufacture a new style power tool. boat related . who can do it?

Notices

need to manufacture a new style power tool. boat related . who can do it?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
There is almost no manufacturing left in the US for cordless and air tools. Even the Major players like IR Snap-On have moved much of there products overseas. The problem you are going to see is volume, how many do you think will be sold?. Are you targeting people who do this for a living, or private boat owners. You are really going to have to watch your price point if its individual owners.
Target everyone. I am hoping under 100 bucks. I think i can sell 5000 units a year to start.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
I have designed a new power tool. Boat related. Its basically likea right angle ,cordless drill. With a special attachment.cant tell what its for yet. I have fully designed it and made a working prototype i use it all the time. Its awesome. I'm working on the patent pending now.

I want it to be made in America ! Ihave been looking for months and can not find anyone listed that can make it for me. Plenty of places make hand tools, air tools and machine tools. But no cordless electricstuff.

Please dont tell me names like craftsman, riobi, dewalt. I dont want the middle man, i want the manufacturer.besides ,theyre all made in china....
Thanks!

I have been told more than once your better off selling your IDEA to one of the big companies and taking your money.

Rather than spending it all on Patents and still trying to launch it.

So maybe you even sell it with a Continued percentage of forever sales too along with the lump sum.

Just idea's for ya

Jon
Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goatskin
Boot, I have a little experience is what you're wanting to do, albeit non-USA, but the principal is the same. Google is your friend. "short-run manufacture" "rapid prototyping" "3D printers" are starting points. MOST of the prototype shops are also limited-run manufacturers, too, or they are asociated with some.

What you're probably going to end up with is a few boxes of parts/subassemblies sourced from a half-dozen places, varying from hi- to moderate-tech and, unless it is just flag-waving, both Mexico and Canada have a lot of small shop sources, and certainly Europe does.

I suspect, other than grips, the mechanicals and electrics will be off-the-shelf ... somewhere. "Cordless" may be more than a small issue, from an IP standpoint, as the technology is still young enough to have lots of patents wandering around. If there is some particular cordless design you favour, have you talked to them about licensing, or buying motors and linkages?

PM me with your number and we can talk about it.

Speaking of ... (and not to hijack your thread, overly) ... does anybody make these 'elevator' boxes? even custom fabricated?

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...ce-boats-.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnJHQHGH70

Bob
i been jacked .

Call me when you can. Thanks,joe 908,963,2513
Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
does this tool vibrate

Only if your drivin a fountain !

Just funnin' !
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
my guess would be a drill fixture to punch the side of a bravo transom to get at the steering pin. Just a guess...
Theres a good one too!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goatskin
Boot, I have a little experience is what you're wanting to do, albeit non-USA, but the principal is the same. Google is your friend. "short-run manufacture" "rapid prototyping" "3D printers" are starting points. MOST of the prototype shops are also limited-run manufacturers, too, or they are asociated with some.

What you're probably going to end up with is a few boxes of parts/subassemblies sourced from a half-dozen places, varying from hi- to moderate-tech and, unless it is just flag-waving, both Mexico and Canada have a lot of small shop sources, and certainly Europe does.

I suspect, other than grips, the mechanicals and electrics will be off-the-shelf ... somewhere. "Cordless" may be more than a small issue, from an IP standpoint, as the technology is still young enough to have lots of patents wandering around. If there is some particular cordless design you favour, have you talked to them about licensing, or buying motors and linkages?

PM me with your number and we can talk about it.

Speaking of ... (and not to hijack your thread, overly) ... does anybody make these 'elevator' boxes? even custom fabricated?

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...ce-boats-.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnJHQHGH70

Bob
I wouldlike in american made. Not china.... dont have as much a problem with mex. Or cwnada. I would like to support americans best i can.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
is it for screws?? anyone can get a patent,,where the real money comes in is protecting your design which couls cost ten's of thousands..
No screws. It may cost some money, but there is money to be made.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman
I have been told more than once your better off selling your IDEA to one of the big companies and taking your money.

Rather than spending it all on Patents and still trying to launch it.

So maybe you even sell it with a Continued percentage of forever sales too along with the lump sum.

Just idea's for ya

Jon
I hear ya. Thought about that too. But i think i can handle it.sowhy not get all the money. I have a huge network for selling it sothat will help. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by boot
No screws. It may cost some money, but there is money to be made.
ok so if is dont screw then it must be married....lol
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
ok so if is dont screw then it must be married....lol

dam ! You guessed it. Its a marriage ap tool. So you can sneak on it from the side. ( right angle) get it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.