Notices

Q for S.Carolina Boaters

Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Q for S.Carolina Boaters

I just got a notice for the Pickiin's county tax collector for a tax bill due on our Hustler, of 2,969.68 I Haven't been able to get hold of anyone there yet, as I'm on business travel in CA, 3 hours time difference... We bought the Hustler in SC and registered her there because we had a vacation home there, but we sold the home last year, so I'm not sure what this is all about?
Any ideas....
Thanks,
Dean
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Lake Hartwell boaters, any help with this ? would be great....
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I just got a notice for the Pickiin's county tax collector for a tax bill due on our Hustler, of 2,969.68 I Haven't been able to get hold of anyone there yet, as I'm on business travel in CA, 3 hours time difference... We bought the Hustler in SC and registered her there because we had a vacation home there, but we sold the home last year, so I'm not sure what this is all about?
Any ideas....
Thanks,
Dean
You will have to prove the boat is somewhere else, and that you no longer reside (own) the property where the boat was regsitered. I had to do the same thing couple months ago - a couple calls and faxes and they sent me a $0.00 invoice fairly simple compared to other places. I was in Richland County.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by yschmidt
You will have to prove the boat is somewhere else, and that you no longer reside (own) the property where the boat was regsitered. I had to do the same thing couple months ago - a couple calls and faxes and they sent me a $0.00 invoice fairly simple compared to other places. I was in Richland County.
Y,
Thanks very much.
Dean
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Dean, hope this tax nonsense works out for ya, everything turned out ok on that item we spoke about , thanks. Tom
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by TomFTM
Dean, hope this tax nonsense works out for ya, everything turned out ok on that item we spoke about , thanks. Tom
Tom
Glad to hear everything worked out, I'm still in CA. hopefully we sell off tomorrow and I'll be home this weekend.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Dean, I live in Myrtle Beach. When you bought the boat and reg. It in SC you only payed 300 bucks in sales tax. But they get you on the personal property tax. That is the bill you got. It is due every year when it is time to renew the reg. It goes down every year based on value. Now every state is different, but I think if you reg. It in another state you will owe that states sales tax. I know in NY where I am from that is almost 10%. So this situation could be more complicated than you think. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary C
Hey Dean, I live in Myrtle Beach. When you bought the boat and reg. It in SC you only payed 300 bucks in sales tax. But they get you on the personal property tax. That is the bill you got. It is due every year when it is time to renew the reg. It goes down every year based on value. Now every state is different, but I think if you reg. It in another state you will owe that states sales tax. I know in NY where I am from that is almost 10%. So this situation could be more complicated than you think. Good luck!
PP Tax is correct but I don't think DF should have to pay tax again elsewhere just normal registration fees no different than he would if he brought a SC registered car to another state. Only pay Sales tax 1x, in NC we have 3% w/ a $1500 max cap then the annual personal property tax every year after based on NC estimated value until you move or sell it.

Taxes normally due by June 1st but assesed based on ownership as Jan 1st. I attached the backside of one of mine so you can see the options for appealing, proration etc.

My assumption is that SC is similar & there should be similar options.

PM me if you want some other helpful hints w/ regard to future SC/NC purchases or registrations.
Attached Thumbnails Q for S.Carolina Boaters-photo.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your property tax is due if you had the boat registered anytime in the previous year. Boats run on the same schedule as houses do which is January to December. The property tax is figured off the fair market value of the boat. When we bought our boat we had it documented, because SC did not back check documented boats. So we had a few years when we did not have to pay property tax on the boat. Somewhere along the way they found out that people were doing that and they started getting information from the USCG so they could bill the documented boats for property tax.

If you can show proof where you moved the boat registration into a different state before the end of the previous year you would not be responsible for the tax.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert, but this is what I've been told.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that all marina's & dry storage facilities are required to turn over a list of tenants & their personal info. Thats where I believe you go from flying under the radar on the radar. I've owned both a documented boat in storage which was on the radar & a NC registered boat in private storage & flew below the radar.

NC Wildlife doesn't report to County Tax Collector, or at least they didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.