Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pros & Cons Performance Boat Trailers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29566-pros-cons-performance-boat-trailers.html)

07-25-2002 01:49 PM

Pros & Cons Performance Boat Trailers

Any one out their have any knowledge about Performance aluminum boat trailers.

Advantage_Rob 07-25-2002 01:56 PM

What exactly are you asking about?

A) aluminum trailers for performance boats?

or

B) A specific company that makes aluminum trailers that is called performance aluminum trailers?

Advantage_Rob 07-25-2002 02:26 PM

Ok I got an email, and Mr Govt says it is answer B) a company named performance aluminum trailers.

Cant say I've heard of them, but I have a tri-axle aluminum Tow Master trailer under my 32 and no complaints at all, and I wouldn't even consider going back to a steel trailer. Sorry I couldn't help you out any more than that.

Mark in So. MD 07-25-2002 02:57 PM

Rob, just curious, do you see a lot of alum. trailers at your/a lake. Or do most like the steel painted to match their boat.

Advantage_Rob 07-25-2002 03:20 PM

The aluminum trailers seem to be a fairly new thing around here and there aren't alot of them, but you do see them. I still think it's 90% painted steel around here, and I only see a few painted to match, but they do look good when they are all painted up. I got my boat, and trailer within a month of one of my friends, both of us got new 32' offshores and trailers, his is steel, and mine aluminum, both 99 model year. His was painted all white, and now has alot of small rust spots coming thru, and is about due to be stripped, and re-painted, The aluminum one is still good, not that it couldn't use a polishing, but there are no area's that need addressed on it. I've towed his before and it's a lot more weight for sure, I can definitely tell with my tahoe, but as fas as when under way towing down the road, I cant say there's any difference between the two. My cat has a steel trailer, it's due to be redone again... for the second time by me!!! The aluminum just seems to be alot easier to live with, no repainting, no rust ever, and it's alot lighter.

Mark in So. MD 07-25-2002 03:20 PM

You know what, i just remembered my friend with a baja 250 has one, It is your typical Towmaster/Loadmaster/etc........ alum I beam trailer, i will call him just to be 100% that is what it is.

BuzzinBye! 07-25-2002 03:49 PM

Gov,

I did remember seeing an active thunder at the factory for sale and it was on a "performance Trailer" it was not aluminum but is was manufactured by Performance. Maybe Active Thunder knows more.

DAn

EvilTwin 07-25-2002 04:16 PM

I have a Performance Trailer under my 2002 Outlaw. I had one under my 1999 272 Baja also. The dealer I bought both my boats from seem to use them exclusively. They are painted steel. First one white dual axle, new one black triple axle. I have not had a problem so far (knock on wood). They are made in Lake George, NY. I don't know if there is some other division or company under that name. Any specific info needed?

NASTY HABIT 07-25-2002 04:22 PM

do a search on "Performance trailers" in the general discussion section , there are a few write ups on that manuf.