Notices

Ok, who knows this guy...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go TexasVines they don't have wife beater shirts & probably have teeth but Next Tuesday, May 7, at 9 p.m. ET/PT, The Weather Channel debuts a new reality show shot in the Florida Keys called "Reel Rivals." http://www.fla-keys.com/news/news.cfm?sid=8697

Good Luck Making Waves, I DVD the show & will try to watch it soon.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MakingWavesTV
low_psi and TexasVines, thank you for the feedback. Please let us know what you think after you see it. Today's episode was the first one shot (back in January) and we continue to work on getting better with every episode. The show does have a little travel feel but it's also got a whole lot of other aspects as well. There is even a little cooking in episode 1 for a specific reason (but no cooking in episode 2,3,4). TexasVines, thanks, now I need to get that Rachael Ray image out of my head. And yes, you will even see some construction of boats along the way in some episodes. We hope that everyone will find something about the show that makes them come back every week. Looking forward to everyones feedback and thanks for letting us be part of the conversation.

Cool wish you guys the best of luck
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 4,316 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TexasVines
I find tony bourdain borish at best.....once I realized his whole thing was just eating weird stuff I was out....I would rather watch the bald headed guy Andrew Zimmern at least he has a personality that is more entertaining than a rock...and tony B has this air about him like I am suppose to think he is special or amazing because he is willing to eat crap that would freak most people out while Andrew Zimmern understands that he is doing something strange and that most will never give that a try and often he admits it is just terrible as well and you should not want to try it

I will give tony B credit though at least he does go to out of the way places and off the beaten path....this boat show looks like they are staying right on the beaten path.....I mean really jet skis and kayaks and restaurants packed to the gills with people asses to elbows

kayaks can be fun in the right places (if you are the one out there actually doing it), but riding a sit down jet ski loses the thrill after about 2 minutes (how many 360s can you really do before the fun is over, but a stand up jet ski is a whole different thing) and I can't imaging watching others do it on TV
You should change your name to Debbie Downer
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Thank you for coming on the board (Welcome) and explaining the show a bit better. Based on your explination I will set the DVR to record. Based on the video I saw on the website, I would not have...... Will check it out this evening on the DVR.
Agreed. I will check it out.

Maybe they will call before they head to Lake Lanier. That would be cool if they timed it for the Poker Run.

Hint hint.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the first episode a few minutes ago. Not trying to be insulting here, just honest. I was not terribly impressed with the first episode. But by MakingWaves previous comment, the later shows may be headed in a slightly different direction (for the good). Hopefully this is the case. I will keep this series set to record and will watch a few more episodes before I pass final judgement. I think the show would benifit from the "less is more" theory. With it only being a 30min episode, I think focusing on one topic or activity per episode would be better. Just isn't enough time in a 30 min episode for multiple topics. It seemed very scattered. With that said, even if I don't end up liking and watching it, I wish you nothing but success. To travel the world and get paid to vacation looks to be one of those true "dream jobs".
Old 05-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

low_psi Thank you for watching and taking the time to post feedback. I don't know whether you will like it better as it goes but I'd like to hear what you have to say. There will be less sub-segments. The Miami episode was ambitious, we walked away knowing we could easily have done an hour episode and there was a little too much but when we tested it out with a lot of people, each person seemed to be attracted by a different aspect so we left it all in. Cutting one of the sub-segments might have helped with your feelings. Interested in in hearing your views after episode 2 next week.

As far as traveling the world and getting paid—this is entirely funded by me, not the network. Boating is a passion, I think we can all agree on that. No one really has to have a boat, but we love what a boat brings to our lives. I felt it was important that there was a television show for US. A show that might make people get out on the water and explore new places and might make people who are not boaters appreciate what it has to offer (and buy boats). No network wanted to talk about a boating show, they don't seem to understand what a passionate and big audience we represent. It has taken 6 years to get to this point and get a show on the air. I found myself watching fishing shows (and I don't fish) just to see boats on the water on tv. It was time. I am not the host, I'm just the creator & producer. It's not a vanity project. I've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get it to this point with the belief that others would want to watch it and in time, it would grow to something sponsors would feel they had to be a part of because we were all watching it. And once that happens, maybe I'll get rid of my 13 year old truck and buy a new boat. Maybe not, I do love my truck and my boat. My goal at this point is purely to produce the best show that I can and hope that people enjoy it and always walk away saying "I learned something cool along the way" or "that was fun". Please continue to provide feedback. Velocity has been great, they have been enthusiastic about the show. Now I just need to prove that we are out here, we represent massive audience of passionate people in need of a boating show, and we are it.

Was there a certain part of the show you liked the least? Was there a part you liked the most?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I missed that one, have to go set it on the DVR and catch up. Personally, I liked the trailer. Not as a show per se, but because it had boats in it Let's face it, not very much boat action on TV at all.

I think one destination or theme per show is plenty for a 30 minute series. Because I haven't seen it yet, I can't comment at all where you're headed. But it definitely could become something good for the business.

As far as comments about the factories and rigging, possibly. But if you combined that with some poker run action of boats droning over waves and helicopter shots, you'll be given an exit pass to never come back pretty quickly.

Since it is television, I think a broader audience would love to see the various boats and destinations. You are correct when you state "massive audience". Everyone from bass fisherman to trawler owners to weekend cruisers would love a boat TV series. There are so many destinations and things going on just in Florida, that could be a couple of years worth of action.

As far as performance boats goes, I don't think you could do any better than a Bob The Builder series on his trips out to the islands. You'd probably not find a better host either. I'm sure you can get some in-show advertising support as well. What better attention than to show a group headed out for a weekend on one of your boats?

Anyway, thanks for putting boats on the small screen
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Apparently they will give anybody a show. I'm just waiting for mine now.

Real TV presents : Shopping for a boat, the 12 year journey"!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanner
Real TV presents : Shopping for a boat, the 12 year journey"!!!!
Awesome....
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=TexasVines;3918293]just to be clear even though what I said above was probably not all that nice or positive I wish no failure on you and I hope you make a mint and I hope I am pleasantly surprised by what I see.....if someone offered be the chance to do it even in a travel channel fashion (as the promo looks and feels to me and that is not a positive) I would do it in an instant because of course I would be the one having the fun

clearly you seem to understand the promo has a travel channel feel and you clearly don't seem to like that....so I give you credit for that....I also give you credit for declining the "competition" aspect that just sounds stupid (amazing race meets survivor meets travel channel = terrible)

if it was me and if you want my feed back I would say try and get into some of the boat manufacturers and riggers and get behind the scenes....I know for a fact that on a different boat forum than this one people eat up the photos of boats being laid up and built and fitted and they oh and ah endlessly each time a new build starts at the various builders of performance and CC fishing boats and they love looking a the rigging taking place as well

I would resit the temptation to have a cute face unless she (or he for those that go that route) can really back it up.....no one wants to see rachel ray giggle and squirm as a boat hits a 1 foot chop....ok well I might want to see that for a few minutes, but once I have a screen capture in my "spank bank" the thrill is gone for the remainder of the show and I am tuned out.....I would rather see 4 toothless guys in wife beaters chain smoking and bringing in huge fish after a realistic fight than see some cutie haul in a 5 pound speck or red fish and then act all "tuckered out"

it is like the difference between top gear UK and the top crap USA....in the UK show you are thinking damn that could have killed them (and the hampster did wreck a dragster) while in the USA version you are watching 3 guys go through the motions of poor product placement and cheesy set up and staged "events"

please go towards the UK version of doing things not the USA version

thanks for listening and I hope you have fun and cash in even if I am not a viewer long term, but I am going to definitely give it a chance based on your above post and the fact that you have recognized what I see as some "issues" with that promo and how it comes off[/QUOTE

Idiot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.