Orange Beach Boating, One day/night >

Orange Beach Boating, One day/night

Notices

Orange Beach Boating, One day/night

Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Have no problem running the gulf, just dont want to make a16 miles gulf trip big waves beatingt he boat up for nothing.
Heard that. Hopefully u will have a north wind early in the morning and it will be slicker than owl ****
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Registered

However in a 342 u won't have a bit of problems.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mittens
Have no problem running the gulf, just dont want to make a16 miles gulf trip big waves beatingt he boat up for nothing.
This time of year the wind starts to shift westerly. This is no issue from oba to pcola but the trip back will certainly not be fun. The waters right out from the beach is 35 foot or less and a 15mph west wind can mix up a short, no rhythm, pound around chop. If you so make sure you plan your trip with that in mind. An east wind isnt that bad since you can tuck close to shore and deal with it. Ideally a n wind will be present and you can scoot with flat water.

Read your charts coming out of pcola pass! the bottom shoals up making the turn to the west plus there is the Massachusetts wreck , you have to go south farther than what you think, plus the amount of water coming out of the pass on a ebbing tide is crazy and can make some holes in the water that are hard to see....

LC
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Registered

More info on the shoals, Massachusetts wreak and how far I have to go out before coming west would be helpful. I have nice lowrance unit, and updated charts from navinonics as of yesterday. So you would think it would be pretty accurate. But who knows.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can see on Google Earth how far the shoal extends on the West side of Pcola pass. It's way out there, but as I recall there's a huge channel marker on the end of it. Feels like at least a mile out to it.

Where is the wreck Loose?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Well we had a great day/ night.

Left out from Sherman Cove Marina and headed to Robinson island, then back to pirates cove for lunch. Was packed but a guy in a 310 SS formula gave me his spot as he was leaving. Great burgers, and bushwakers, like everyone has told me. Then back to fort McRee. Stayed the night, had a awesome spot, deep water, checked out the fort and met some nice people. Then the next morning, we left out the pass, found the "Lulu" ship in tow they are going to sink, it was about 3-4 miles out. Checked out the sunken Massachusetts. Then played in the gulf for a little while and came back in. 50.3 miles total. Loaded it up and am now at our house in fort Walton/ Merry Ester Florida at our house for Billy Bowlegs. We will be here, and playing in waters here until next Monday.