Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do I have a Lemon? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29599-do-i-have-lemon.html)

Indiana252 07-25-2002 10:20 PM

Do I have a Lemon?

Alright guys I need some help here. This is my first post, so forgive me if I mess it up, this may be a little long. But I have a 2000 Baja 252 Islander, it was the brochure boat back in 2000. Took it out 3 weeks ago, started to idle, transmission popped out of gear and that was all she wrote, no forward/no reverse. I guess the engine and outdrive came out of alignment and basically blew the gears. I get it back last Wed. take it down to Lake Cumberland, KY and have 2 days of awesome boating, then Sat afternoon starts to run ruff. We start to accelerate and as we are bringing it up to speed, the tach won't get past 3K rpm, even with throttle wide open. Then boats starts to overheat, so I pop the hatch and one of the exhaust pips is so hot the paint is bubbling but only one of them. If it was the water pump wouldn't both pipes be hot? We had switched the Captains call on and then off while we let it run for a few minutes to smooth out, so maybe the Cap. Call is where the problem was. The engine has about 200hrs on it. This is not the only problems we've had, but just the major ones since it has come out from under warranty. It had 1 major problem while under warranty. Do I have a lemon or is this what we call BOATING? 2 seasons, this many problems?:confused:

Tinkerer 07-25-2002 10:26 PM

You may have had dirt built up and fill the water hose that goes to the exhaust manifold that was too hot. The other thing is that if you had only one of your diverter valves ( silent choice ) open - all the cooling water would go to that side due to the lower back pressure and the other side would run dry -(very hot)

WES311SR1 07-25-2002 10:42 PM

not a lemon , just a boat.

puder 07-26-2002 02:51 AM

B...reak
O...ut
A...nother
T...housand

:D

Dean Ferry 07-26-2002 07:14 AM

Welcome to OSO!
Tinkerboater pretty much covered what it could be! But so did the other guys!:(
Boating is expensive! What does your Mechanic say?
MD

Indiana252 07-26-2002 08:32 AM

I was hoping that I didn't have a lemon, but this is basically the first boat I've owned so I wasn't sure. I haven't heard back from the Mechanic yet, should hear from him today or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know, when I find out. Thanks a lot for all your help. Expensive Sport, but a rainy day at the lake beats a sunny day at home.

Tantrum 07-26-2002 08:50 AM

I wish I had problems like that ;)
I would think you sucked in some mud and have to flush the motor. Did it heat up again or was it ok. The capt call should not create that kind of heat at all.
If you waterski with this boat that can be brutal on a drive. 200 hours of yanking people out of the water and constant shifting to pick them up is alot on the drives. Some people may not agree with that but I used to waterski every day for years and we went through many drives and no motors.
My current boat likes to eat motors :rolleyes:

WaterMoose 07-26-2002 09:59 AM

Tinkerboater and Puder said it best....:)

Indiana252 07-26-2002 10:09 AM

Yeah we do a lot of skiing and wakeboarding. Last summer we were down at the lake about 2 or 3 days during the week, and every weekend. When I started it up to put it on the trailer last weekend it did not over heat, but it wasn't running very long. Anyone else had similiar problems?

Luvoffshore 07-26-2002 01:26 PM

Not a lemon yet!

Indiana252:

First off, welcome as a new member. Obviously you haven't even been a lurker because you haven't heard some of the horror stories some of these hi-po boats have, including Baja's. A more often than not scenario is "I just got my new engines back in my boat and ran it for a couple hours and it/they seized up, oh well time to pull it and tear it down"!! I cringe just reading this, let alone being the person it happens to! I agree, you have a long way to go before you can classify this as a lemon. Good luck and most likely it is something pretty minor. :cool: :D