Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year. >

Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year.

Notices

Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the results/speeds of the DS shootout been posted anywhere?? I cant seem to find em.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It was our 1st Desert Storm as well. It was definitely fun. Flew into Vegas Wednesday and drove down that day. Had a condo overlooking the channel (Location, Location, location). Spent Thursday at the street party, Friday met up with a crew I had been in contact with from RDP who offered to take the wife and I out.
Spent the day on the water. Early down river and then back to Meadows to watch the 1st waves go by, then up to Pirates for lunch, and then back down to the channel. Saturday we had rented a cabana boat in the channel near our condo. We met a bunch of nice folks and everyone was hospitable. Sunday back up to Vegas and Cabana at the HR wrapped up with a nice dinner and a easy flight home Monday.

Overall a great time. We added a day on either end so we weren't feeling rushed and that's the way we'd do it again.

That said, the boating style there isn't something i'd like experience every weekend. Sure it had a mix of eye candy, and Vegas style partying but it also had the LA freeway mentality with boats running closer to each other than I was comfortable with at times both on the lake and on the river.

It was on my list of things to do and i'm sure we'll back at some point. Hopefully we'll get LOTO checked off too as that sounds a bit more our style.

Last edited by drejustice; 05-13-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Im glad to see a lot of replies on this. Before I went to Desert storm I looked for some threads on what to expect but didn't come up with much. I wish I had all this info before I went to better prepare myself. Like I said before, they are both are great shows but I was amazed at how different the two places are! When I went to LOTO for 1st time I was disappointed in how much of the lake shore was soo populated with houses, condos, businesses, ect. but I got use it. Where as Lake Havasu is the complete opposite, 99 percent natural terrain, but I was also surprised at how small the lake really was! Topock gorge is a beautiful boat ride!
I took a week vacation for both events and was amazed that more people don't! Both places are pretty slow up till the street parties, then it really picks up quick. As for Desert Storm Thurs-Sun. is plenty of time to see it all, BUT at LOTO its not!! I know that going bar hopping is not for everyone, but, there are SOO many really cool bars on LOTO with swim up bars, waterslides, beaches to hang out on or volleyball, etc. that once you see a couple you really want to see what the others have to offer. But, that does get expensive pretty quick. It is great to have those places to go on those poor weather days. Just my opinion though. I do hope to convince someone that has not made it to LOTO (but has wanted to), that I don't think you'll be disappointed. The Bud shoot-out brings in a lot more of the bigger/bad ass boats than Desert does. I love how some of those gorgeous 50', 2500+hp boats are flying up and down the lake ALL weekend long, burning more money in gas than I make in a yr!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I went for the first time this year. My wife and I had a great time. I didn't haul my boat out there but we rented a boat. I proved that during a poker run that I could also break down a rental boat. Anyway the scenery was beautiful and I will go back. The lake is smaller with the average boat size smaller. The trip north up the river was as beautiful as anything I've seen in boating. Never been to Loto but will go this year.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to experience LOTO before I can compare the 2. I think Chip Romers old cat ran 180.00 mph Eric
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I raced in LOTO last year, and do a yearly trip to Havi. Such different places I can't even compare.

I say go to both and have a blast!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
I need to experience LOTO before I can compare the 2. I think Chip Romers old cat ran 180.00 mph Eric
Yeah I saw that...I was jus curious what everyone else ran. Mainly us lowly/slowly Vee Bottom guys.

Are you still a no go for LOTO Shootout?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I travel to Havasau, which is a 12 hr. tow for me, every year. It kicks off the boating season for our group and planning helps us get through the long California winters. I have towed to LOTO six years ago and had the best vacation off my life. I did go throught a lot of fuel in six days. I fell in love with that lake but 30 hrs. is a long tow. I would buy a vacation home at LOTO but there is no easy way to get to the lake. I have however traveled back most every year since my first trip and will be back for the shootout this year. On my yearly list is Desert Storm, Big Cat. Loto Shootout and Key West Race. I enjoy them all, however, they are all very different. Doug
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I usually don't chime in on stuff like this, but I think you summed it up perfectly Cash. And when you add it all up, it's a wash. They're both great places to be on the water.
I agree, I live on LOTO now and have been coming for 37 years, been to havasu 5 or 6 times for Desert Storm and had a blast...actually looking for a old flat bottom to restore to enjoy some of the havasu/socal events catered to those boats
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505
Yeah I saw that...I was jus curious what everyone else ran. Mainly us lowly/slowly Vee Bottom guys.

Are you still a no go for LOTO Shootout?
ya right slow guy your rig is probably going to hit 140 . I am staying off havi this year so maybe i will save enough cash to make it. If i can i will. I like pullng into bars. Much better than looking at 500 miles of dirt shoreline

Last edited by mcprodesign; 05-14-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.