Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 MAG HO Whipple/ProCharger ? >

496 MAG HO Whipple/ProCharger ?

Notices

496 MAG HO Whipple/ProCharger ?

Old 07-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needless to say after the 20 hrs it should spin to 5150. Have you heard of anyone who has had the computer limiter bumped up to 5400? I understand it can be done but nobody seems to have the correct equipment or tech knowledge yet.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey LIOPA,
it sounds like you may just have too much prop. Keep an eye on it and have your dealer swap you out props if your not getting 5000+ out of it.
If it's your prop, your power will be down significantly at 4500 rpm. You may gain 100 or so rpm after break in, but 400-500 would be a somewhat major expectation.
Also, just a thought, but raising the rev limiter to 5400 will just pull your motor out of the power band unless other mods are made also.
Later,
Dave

Steve, email me offline on how your trip was!!

Last edited by NordicHeat; 07-29-2002 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

LIOPA --
I've got 64 hours on mine and the swim platform is still blackened after every run. Consensus is that I'm propped ok (26p Bravo 1) but will have to get in there and adjust the computer. I'm told the shops around here don't have the equipment yet -- I also don't want to be the first one they "experiment" on!!
Lee
Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Velocitease,

The scariest part is when you walk into a "Merc Aithorized Repair Facility" and you tell them you have a 496 -- then they look at eachother for a second, one scratches his head, while the other goes searching for the manual....

....When he returns, he's cutting the shrink wrap off the repair manual.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Baja Daze --
Oh man, it was better than that! I took it in to check out the recall on the rocker arms and fix a minor oil leak (which they and the local Merc rep said they could do with no problem). I heard that they had to call someone in from outside their shop to get it back together! And when I picked it up, they told me that they really didn't want to see that engine again.... They definitely will not have to worry about that!

I'm interested in the Whipple/Pro Charger possibilities. If the authorized shops can't work on it, what good is a warranty??
Old 07-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Velocitease,
I also have a 496 HO and have been looking into different mods. Arizona Speed and Marine can modify the computer to add about 15 hp but I believe they can only do this to the motors that have the Delphi computers. In addition I have talk with a couple of people about the Pro Charger and have not heard very many good things. From what I understand the computer in the 496 is set up to go into safe/limp mode if there is more than 2 lbs. of manifold pressure, I have also heard that there is just one boat that is running the Whipple and computer mods.