Notices

Whippled 525 vs Merc 700s

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
No, XR's cannot handle Whipples running behind a 42 Fountain or 38 Cig - not to mention the horror stories you hear of Whipple installs gone bad, and bad again, and again....... depending on who does them and for that matter the horror stories of Merc 700 upgrade kit installs gone bad. You will be miles ahead by just paying up from the get-go for the stock 700's with 6's or NXT's and saving the headaches.
What in the world are you talking about? I love "experts" giving such great info..... Do you even realize how many 525 SC upgrades are in race boats across the world, how many ocean boats, how many lake boats....? How about 600, 662 and 700's?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
What in the world are you talking about? I love "experts" giving such great info..... Do you even realize how many 525 SC upgrades are in race boats across the world, how many ocean boats, how many lake boats....? How about 600, 662 and 700's?
Was waiting for you on this. Figured Id let you handle it lol

As I said, weve done well over 20 Whipple upgrades on 496s-700s with ZERO issues. Granted, we are very good at what we do...but an amazing product helps!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen your site Whipple. Other than ECU changes, do I need to change any internals on the stock merc 525s?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigtxp
I'm looking at late model V bottoms such as Fountains, sunsations, cigarettes, etc and am trying to figure out if the extra upfront money justifies the merc 700s or if I can pay a little less and just whipple Merc 525s. I'm looking to achieve speeds over 100mph fully loaded, but 120 would be better. Have to keep the wife happy with a full cabin or would just go with a cat.

Some of my initial questions include:

How do the internals compare between a whippled 525 & 700s?
How are both on reliability?
What is a good HP expectation for a conservative whipple 525 setup?
Can Bravo XR's handle the extra HP or do I need to look at NXT or NXT6 drives?
What else am I missing?
To answer some of your questions:
Stock internals between a 525HP EFI and 700SCi are nearly identical. The difference being the 525HP EFI has higher static compression, 8.75:1 vs 7.5:1. The piston itself is different for the compression and for slightly different clearances. The other difference is the camshaft. The 525HP EFI actually has a slightly more aggressive camshaft, with more lift and duration than the 700SCi.

They share the same crankshaft, rods, rod bolts, ARP head bolts, Cometic head gaskets, closed cooling system, oil system, oil pan, lifters, push rods, roller rockers...... All the same stuff.

The SC kit uses the same computer, the cal is based off the 700SCI. Uses the same pump and injectors, slightly different fuel system but with far more capacity.

So with engine reliability in mind, they are very similar. We have many customers at the 500hour mark on stock engines. The Stage 1 makes 775hp @ 5650, 800hp @ 5800. Stage 2 makes 30hp more. This runs 7psi of boost, vs the 700SCI running 7.5psi of boost. The 525HP SC kit, stage 1 has a larger intercooler core, with far higher flowing water capacity.

The fact is, the engine itself is extremely reliable and has been proven to be a true workhorse. The XR drive will never be as reliable as a NXT or #6. I do feel the SCX is very reliable but you can't compare to a #6. The #6 drive is another league, but most 700's come with NXT's. I think Fountain was one of the only companies that went with the #6 and it was for handling.

A XR can handle the power quite well in single engine applications. On dual and triple, it really depends on the boat size, X-dimension, version of prop, water conditions and of course, customers throttle control. I've seen plenty of the XR's make it 500+ hours with 750-800hp and I've seen plenty replace the drives numerous times so it really depends on the variables.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigtxp
I've seen your site Whipple. Other than ECU changes, do I need to change any internals on the stock merc 525s?
The only changes required is for engines produced between 2001-2003 which had stock GM head bolts and stock graphite head gaskets. These should be updated to ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets, just as Mercury Racing did in 2004 and beyond.

After this, it just depends on what condition the motor is in. Most of our customers install the package in the 0-200hr mark. If your near the 400-600 hour, then that motor should be rebuilt regardless of supercharging or not.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Was waiting for you on this. Figured Id let you handle it lol

As I said, weve done well over 20 Whipple upgrades on 496s-700s with ZERO issues. Granted, we are very good at what we do...but an amazing product helps!
Thank you, appreciate it!

Performance Marine, Team Saris is one of our original 3 dealers, nearly 15 years now so they've installed a very significant amount over all the years.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged

I'm not pointing a finger at you and saying that you nor anyone else can install at kit that lasts on a 525, but as I said in my post, depending on who does the install it can and has many times turned into a horror story for our fellow boaters who were told by their installer that it was a piece of cake.

I think you have to be realistic in that enough of these supercharger installs have gone wrong that first hand experiences from some of our fellow boaters have poisoned the well in the minds of many of us - and is why the overwhelming response on this thread is in favor of paying up for the Merc 700's and NXTs/Six's for reliability reasons.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had thenm on a set of 525.. they were awesome. i only suggest to run the fuel return line directy to the gas tank. not to the fuel filter head as the kit supply's. saves a a lot of greef with vapor lock on the very hot days.

i never had any drive problems with the xr's but you do half to treat it with respect.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

DRIVES!!!!! Find a boat with good Drives or have $40,000+ extra wiggle room for some Arnesons, SCX, etc to upgrade right away. Basically the boat needs to be an absolute STEAL!

But, whipple 500/525s are badazz

Twin Turbo Hardin Marine 525's are Wicked also

I personally LOVE my Prochargers. 500EFI's have been FLAWLESS for 165 hours at 9PSI !!! BUT my boat still Eats the Upgraded Imco SC drives at least once a season!!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion I would find one with tired 525's and build your own whipple 525's. The power is great and you will get what you want. Stock bravos will not be happy so you will need to have them upgraded by either of the bravo shops who know what they are doing. But you still have to be nice to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.