New guy: Looking for advice, opinions, comments, direction

Notices

New guy: Looking for advice, opinions, comments, direction

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy: Looking for advice, opinions, comments, direction

Hello everyone, new to the forum.

I have owned a couple small runabouts, but I am about to take a leap to a much larger boat and would like to get opinions and comments on two local boats I am interested in. I live in the Pacific Northwest and the boats would primarily be used for weekend fun on Washington and Idaho lakes and rivers...no salt water plans for me.

I am trying to choose between two local boats, both of which have their pros and cons. I am still learning about the larger powerboats and want to make sure that I choose something that I won't end up regretting a year or two from now.

1. 1999 Donzi 28ZX - Asking $33k

This boat has fully rebuilt 365 ci Volvos and drives with less than 40 hours on them. The boat has some gel coat cracks and the interior is pretty dirty. Everything seems to work, but I have not yet seen the boat on the water. The engines and drives have a 2 year warranty with 1 year left and seem to be in pretty good shape. I have ridden in some older Donzi 22 and 16 boats and always liked them. I think the boat would clean up with a good detail, but the interior may have some stains and things that won't come out. No rips or tears.

2. 1993 Scarab 31 - Asking $45k

This boat looks like it is brand new. It has twin 440hp 502 Merc's with Bravo 1 drives. Couplers for both engines were replaced last year, but no rebuilds have been completed on the drives or engines. This boat does not have an hour meter anywhere so the current owner has no idea how many hours are on the boat. The boat was purchased by a member of the local yacht club and has moved through 5 or 6 different owners, all local. It is pretty much stock with a host of features including shower, sink, microwave, fridge, shore power, etc. One draw back is the original head was removed for installation of the microwave and fridge and a porta potti was installed as a replacement. Interior is pristine with the exception of 1 ripped seam on the ending cover.

Hopefully you guys can provide me with thoughts and feedback on both options and I can be more informed with my decision.

I am looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks

Reid
Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a guess, but if that Donzi is dirty, and has cracks I would suspect neglect! The scarab being " PRISTINE " sounds like it has been taken care of! I would strongly recommend a survey on anything you choose to purchase! The 502 and bravo is a better package and you probably won't outgrow that boat ! Just my 02!!

Any pics of the boats?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Donzi

Scarab

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the ride of my zx... its a little bigger then the 28 but I had a 27 older boat and now that I have my zx I wont go any other way I love my donzi. plus the steped hull is a better faster hull.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

bigger is better though if u r going to be getting into bigger water or planning on overnighting on it a lot.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just my 02, but If i had to choose, i would be all over that Scarab, more cabin, bigger cockpit, and the bigger boat will handle rougher water better! I would consider all of my boating needs, then I would not stop at these two, I would look around and see what else is out there! Better to take a road trip for the boat you want, then to buy and wish you bought something else!

Check this website if you haven't already, some good deals out there!

Powerboatlistings.com
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
I love the ride of my zx... its a little bigger then the 28 but I had a 27 older boat and now that I have my zx I wont go any other way I love my donzi. plus the steped hull is a better faster hull.
Now if he was choosing between that scarab, and a Donzi 33ZX, there would be no question, just a huge price differance!! Haha, your boat is awesome!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/19094.... Nice boat, almost new motors! A tad over the scarab, But they are out there!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Registered

Yeah, I have been looking for quite a while. Actually looked into a 33ZX in Huntington Beach, CA but it didn't work out.

Thanks for the comments! Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered

if u could go with a 33 zx I would do that it has everything u need and with the right power moves. im in the 80s mine is a 2000 and got it for 60k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.