1996 A-vs-AX Class nightmares revisited

Notices

1996 A-vs-AX Class nightmares revisited

Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation 1996 A-vs-AX Class nightmares revisited

Just to prove he has a sense of humor/irony, Ocke Mannerfelt has take the hull from the B-28 "BatBoat" (which was banned because of its wings), and added an inflatable collar a la Fabio Buzzi's "Baby Argentina" (which was also banned because of its inflatable collar). As near as I can tell, this boat probably isn't even legal for P-classes.....

Whaddayathink, T2x?
Attached Thumbnails 1996 A-vs-AX Class nightmares revisited-r5-2b.jpg  
Old 07-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can remember the first race we ran against the Bat Boat and the Baby Boat, it was in Ft Myers and it was dead calm and we were running Pure Energy-a 26 Throughbred with a 510/730hp that would run an honest gps 90mph. We could out run anything at the start until these boats came to the dance. They walked away from us like we were standing still! I pushed the throttle so hard I bent it! I kept looking at the tach to see if something was wrong! I am also sure that was the year all of us but one ran behind the spectator fleet on the first lap on the outside straight but that's another story. Clay
Old 07-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Default Hadn't heard that story.

Chip Fendt told me that he and Rick Felson were running a Pro Stock (now Super Cat Light Outboard Triple, or something like that), when the Rain-X boat went past them. When they got back to the dock, they couldn't believe they'd been passed by an A-Class boat... It didn't stay in A class very long.

It's just funny to see that hull with a collar. Next thing you know, Fabio will re-introduce his boat with wings..

"Interesting" days, weren't they?
Old 07-25-2002, 01:47 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In 1996 we clocked the two "x" boats at about 4-5 mph over the existing "A" fleet. Not quite like "tied to the dock" but enough to create screaming that is still ringing in my ears. For some reason the other racers became convinced that the Buzzi was creating "Airlift" from it's inflatable collar. As absurd as this sounded....That became the rallying cry......

The same type of "logic" supports step bottom technology today.

Anyway, after being banished to a new class......... there were two significant occurrences that year...... The Bat boat had at least three separate back injuries happen during rough water races (I saw the guys being carried out, personally and interviewed two of them).... However, in its defense the boat had ridiculously light race car seats (I think they still do).....and Mark Nemschoff debuted a Buzzi hull at the end of the season......... without a collar.

That boat was faster.

T2x
Old 07-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

The seats were "very screwed up" in the Rain-X boat for awhile according to one of the guys you spoke to, but they were apparently put "back to the correct specifications" later. (The boat can land very hard, though - it's got a pretty flat entry.)

Yes, once the Nemschoffs removed the collar, the Buzzi was faster - and also considered A-class legal, where it ran even worse roughshod over the competition for the next couple of years until Mark and Paul got bored with it. (It was also the world's longest A-class boat if you measure from the tip of the bow to the end of the drive....)

-Lesson to those who screamed about the collar: Be careful what you wish for.-

Mr. Offshore - The image is from www.ocke.se He's got some new stuff up on the site, including a brand new Swedish-built B28 for sale. The Lawn Dart (registered trademark by T2x) is doing just fine, I'm just waiting for the return of the big motor. Can't make Cleveland, but will probably be at AC.

Last edited by C_Spray; 07-25-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

That same year, 1996, when Chip Fendt was running with Rick Felson in High Risk, a 32 Skater with triple 2.5 EFI's, I was driving the PENNZOIL Boat with Nicky Cutro, a 30 Foot Shadow Cat with triple 2.5 EFI Offshores as well. We were racing in the Pro Stock Class. I too could not believe my eyes when the Rain-X Express went right by us in the ROUGH no less! Simply amazing! Ocke sure bult one hell of a boat! I have had the honor and pleasure of being a passenger in C_Spray's 28 on numerous occassions and each time it NEVER ceases to amaze me! Neat rides guys!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:18 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

C-Spray, Mr Offshore............ Well, well, we've all come to the same place after all......... The Bat boat runs surprisingly well..... the seats could hurt you........ and it is proper to call it a "Lawn Dart"

Life is good.

T2x
Old 07-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Registered

I probably have more seat time in race conditions driving that RainX Bat boat than anyone. The seats did end up with a few configurations. The problem with the seats are that they are to vertical. My 30' Phanton has the seating very reclined and is about as comfortable as a 30' race boat could be in rough conditions. The restraint harnasses in the Bat Boat were a little difficult to get used to as well. The race were I feel we ran the best was Miami in 96. The conditions were rough and Bill just kept the throttle pinned. That boat just flew above the waves, until the DPX drive fell off in the last turn! By the way, we were making at least 800hp. that year. Ray
Old 07-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

RacerRay - Do you know where the RainX hull is nowadays? The last I heard, Bill had painted it black after damaging a wing in the Bahamas and having it repaired. By the way - that's B28 hull number 001. Mine is 005 - the former silver Volvo boat.

Mr. Offshore - Is Chris going to A/C his boat? 600 hp will give hime low-to-mid 90's.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are these B-28's available new still? Unrigged?

Quick Reply: 1996 A-vs-AX Class nightmares revisited

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.