Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hats Off To Boating Parents! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29661-hats-off-boating-parents.html)

mikev 07-03-2003 09:29 AM

my daughter is 7 and we have been taking her since she was a baby and she loves it she loves to sit in the bow (we have a bowrider) and points to the waves for daddy to go hit. the rougher the better kind of freaks her mom out. she also will spend all day jumping off the swim platform if we stop and she loves riding in the tube as well.

SSComp 07-03-2003 12:00 PM

Greg,

My kids seem very willing. First you have to be relaxed. Take them to an harbor or area that is flat. A nongongested channel is great, do some sight seeing. Have her sit with you point out other things than boating. Sooner or later the hands will go on the wheel, she'll be hooked beore you know it.

My 4 year old fights for time now.

Teach them while their young.

GregP 07-03-2003 12:05 PM

bajalion - I've tried to get her to try it on the idle back up our channel. When she was 4 she would sit on my lap and saw the steering wheel. Now she just says "no thanks" and waches the scenery. Guess I'll just have to wait till she's ready.

-Greg

SSComp 07-03-2003 12:57 PM

How about "Can you help day daddy do something" ..."yes"... "I need to look at the ___, can you help me steer the boat real quick...I won't move"

If not she will drive some day and maybe want the keys!

Good luck.

SSComp 07-03-2003 02:43 PM

My wife just reminded me that I let out 13' whaler sit in the garage for a winter when Sarah was 4. We'd let her play on it when we were in the garage. She liked to pretend she was driving. Maybe that's where she got it.

FunHome 07-03-2003 03:24 PM

Bajalion, those picture's are awsome!! I can't wait until Stella our 8 month old is old enough to drive!!! (cough, I'm mean throttle!!
I use to be a throttleman in Factory 1 back in my crazy younger years!!)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-05-2003 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I introduced April then 2 years old to boating in the 13 footer. :cool: She loved it. Her favorite line is "Faster Daddy Faster!!!"
Since then we now have the 28 Checkmate. We recently took April out on her first Poker Run. My wife tells me April was using her favorite line all day, I just couldn't hear over the engines...:crazy:
We now have her and her younger sister who is 22 months old enjoying the pleasure of boating.....:)

Tinkerer 07-05-2003 01:13 PM

My 4 year old grandson says -- GO FAST GRANDPA --

GLH 07-26-2003 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spun a coupler yesterday so today was another kind of motorized transportation for Christopher.

GLH 07-26-2003 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)