Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater? >

Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater?

Notices

Can my 2000 7.3 f350 tow a 40 skater?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

My 7.3 tows my hawk just fine even when the trailer brakes weren't working. It's about 12k on the aluminum trailer
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will it tow it? Sure, but what kind of towing you talking, to the boat ramp and back, or to poker runs all over the US. Stopping it is far more important than towing it. EOH brakes are a must. I have a 2000 F350 Dually with a 7.3. Biggest boat I towed any distance was a 37 Outerlimits on a steel Myco, that had only surge brakes. Their was no way you could stop that rig in a panic stop situation. I towed 5 Fountains the largest was a 38 on a steel Myco with EOH brakes, the thing stopped as if it wasn't even behind the truck.
Whether you are legal, or not is another question. Personally having towed from MD. to Fl. a couple of times, If you are planning on towing any distance, you will be more comfortable in a bigger unit. You will have to add an auxiliary fuel tank, or you will be stopping every a lot for fuel towing that Skater, if you are going any distance.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

The Trailer is MORE important then the truck. The Trailer Handles the weight of the boat, stops the boat, controls sway and stability. A larger truck should NOT act as training wheels for a inadequate trailer.

Yes, if your truck is in good condition it will tow your boat.

At least you have a stronger hitch then the local walmart special!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a dually or a SRW? If it's dually, make sure the trailer is in perfect working order and you're good to go. I agree from past 7.3 experience, that if you're doing any heavy hauls even for short distances, an EGT gauge is a must. Keep in mind that the skater likely needs permits due to width, that makes you a DOT target. Make sure the whole rig is within GVRW for that truck. But from a safety standpoint, a dually long wheel base truck will tow that boat without issue.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I can't believe anyone is endorsing this.

You are following your wife to the Lake House; she is in her Mercedes C300; and your 8 year old daughter is in the backseat. The light ahead changes to yellow, and your wife stops due to someone turning left in front of her. You stomp on your brakes, and burst a brake line on the trailer. Your rig is not slowing, and you are now starting to slide as your truck is being pushed by that 15,000 lbs behind you.

Finish the story.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I can't believe anyone is endorsing this.

You are following your wife to the Lake House; she is in her Mercedes C300; and your 8 year old daughter is in the backseat. The light ahead changes to yellow, and your wife stops due to someone turning left in front of her. You stomp on your brakes, and burst a brake line on the trailer. Your rig is not slowing, and you are now starting to slide as your truck is being pushed by that 15,000 lbs behind you.

Finish the story.
This will happen to any truck. F-450/550. Hell I've seen this happen to full rigs. A "rig" set up takes longer to stop then any sedan or SUV period. That's why above I said "make sure the trailer is in PERFECT working order" and also "make sure the whole rig is within GVRW limits" I think numbers are around 14k/23k for that truck... So no one is advising him to do anything dumb. We've towed a Tiger with a SRW 2500 cummins single cab. Was it safe? Hell no, but we didn't get in any accidents because we drove smart (admittedly young and dumb), so the driver is just as important. If you are following your wifes c300 like you're driving your yukon, yeah you're f'd.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Another towing thread. Its about to get good........................
Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

You should have a larger capacity truck such as a freightliner sport chasis,F-650 or Kodiak.These all have the higher towing capacity and the big air brakes to match.I would not recommend anything that does not have dual rear wheels and electric brakes.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do it and I am always very careful and cautious with everything I do!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
No one can answer that question till you weigh the rig.. Will it pull it? Of course it will. Will it be safe? Unknown. Is it legal? Unknown. Will it stop it? Unknown. Will an emergency lane chamge be safe, or hell even survivable? Unknown.... YMMV .
Originally Posted by poolshrk
Talked to Pete @ skater about weight of boat and trailer. He thought boat would weigh 10500 & steel trailer 4500.
Legally, no. Physically, sure but in an accident situation you are not gonna be happy. Your insurance company might be though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.