Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Air conditioning question (r-12 system) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29694-ot-air-conditioning-question-r-12-system.html)

scarabrick 07-27-2002 11:49 AM

OT: Air conditioning question (r-12 system)

My old chevy elcamino (1970) has the R-12 freon in it and it's not blowing cold enough. the coldest i get is 70 degrees. I'm a few cans low so I need to get some. Out here it's 33.00 a can. What option due i have? anybody have a couple of cans for sale? not going to mexico for a few month where i can get it for $5 a can. Can I use fr-12 over the r-12? anybody have any insite?
Thanks,
Rick

Ted G 07-27-2002 11:57 AM

They make cheap kits to convert to 134, might save you some heartache trying to get r12.

scarabrick 07-27-2002 12:07 PM

Some people say I have to drain the oil in the comp and put 134a in. others say pull a vaccum on the system and put 134 plus oil in it. others say put fr-12 over the r-12 and it will work. others say if you put 134 in after you drained the system the seals will leak or the system will rot. Sh-t who do i believe? I'm so lost on this topic that it's killing me. The other day here in vegas it got 112 and the temp in my car would only drop to 80 degrees.

Thanks,
Rick

pullmytrigger 07-27-2002 12:07 PM

Ive been a Refridgeration/ AC mechanic for 13 yrs and have never heard of fr-12, I think your talking about R 12. For the record "Freon" is a Dupont (the manufacture) trade name, but since Dupont dominates the industry everyone calls "refridgerents" Freon. Its exactly the same as the "Cigarette boat" thing. What you have in there is R12 (stands for "refridgerent 12") Your car is an "R12 system". You would be better off going to Pep Boys or wherever and purchasing a "R134a conversion kit" it is something you can install your self and will update your R12 system to a more modern and much more readily available R134a system. just follow the instructions and put er' in..............Doug

Ted G 07-27-2002 12:14 PM

The "proper" way to do it is to evacuate the system, flush the system clean with a flushing agent, then add the 134 oil and refrigerant. However you can usually just use one of the kits, evac the system, and recharge with 134, adding some of the oil if it isn't in the kit.

I will warn you that the 134 is hard on the seals and with an older system like yours you may end up with some leaks.

scarabrick 07-27-2002 12:18 PM

Should i just wait till we go back to mexico and get some r-12?
The last thing i want is to ruin my system. I do have a new comp it's a sanson(sp) used in street rods and aftermarket cars

David 07-27-2002 03:08 PM

I did the "Pep Boys" kit thing to convert to r-134 from r-12. I followed the instructions included with the kit. The compressor seized up 3 days later. Pep Boys wants $500+ to fix it so it works correctly.

Griff 07-27-2002 08:29 PM

You can get R12 on ebay and some replacement/conversion kits. Some people require you show proof of EPA license for the R12---some don't.

Steve_H 07-27-2002 09:01 PM

you might try a classic car message board.

jackbequick 07-28-2002 12:07 AM

R-134a Conversion

If you're going to convert the system to R-134a, you need to
remove the compressor and dump all the R-12 oil out. Make sure
you rotate the pulley by hand so you get it all out. Blow out the
system as best you can and if you have some leaks, repair them.
Follow the instructions for the kit and add in the correct amount
of new oil to the compressor, then put it all back together. You
need to replace the reciever/dryer last. After that, it should be
ready for freon.

One thing about doing the conversion that is most often over
looked is that you should replace the reciever/dryer as it holds
oil in it and it will mix with the new oil.

Jack