Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can I have a ride in your boat? What do you say? >

Can I have a ride in your boat? What do you say?

Notices

Can I have a ride in your boat? What do you say?

Old 07-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Audiofn
No can do capt. I am focused on getting the boat ready to rock for Memorial weekend. Money is tight so I decided to stay home Maybe next memorial weekend

Jon
Figures...................LOTO is already planning to head back to the ice capaids at LOTO for Memorial. Unbelievable.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Registered

Glassdave- Good response, I did not think of that.

I have taken a lot of people for rides. The problem I have is when I ask someone if they want a ride they think that I also mean all of their friends/kids can go along. Before I can get in the boat I have 10 people in boat. This has happen to me at least 4 times this year. I guess I have gotten gunshy.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Caincando1
MNfastboat,
Have you still not sold your boat?
Nope, kinda gave up on it.
Could not get the 32 ordered in time for this season and maybe more just realizing why should I get ride of something that i worked so hard for.
Nothing wrong with it, just thought I wanted to go bigger and badder
which we all do some time in our lives, I am just not to eager to push it.
But then again, are you interested in buying
Old 07-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

MNfastboat,
I wish We are looking to move up but that is just out of our league right now. Just can't figure out why couldn't sell it. Seem to be a problem selling Advantages. That 27 victory was for sale for ever too. Did he ever sell that?

Sounds like you have good idea. Kick back and enjoy the great boat you have know instead of worrying about getting a new one. Hope to catch up(you'll have to be driving slow ) to you on the river one of these days.

Brian
Old 07-30-2002, 11:11 AM
MIdnightRider

" A Ride, I'd Love Too, Can You Afford To Take Me, I 'm Broke, Thats Why I Just Sittin Here!" Midnight

I do not mind sitting and talking about my boat with complete strangers and answering every little question. Most that have been to Grand Haven know sitting right next to the Board Walk on a Fri or Sat evening with a nice sport boat will bring you allot of passer by conversation. Last Friday I spoke with many people and did have several ask for a ride, and answered honestly, " I didn't take on enough fuel, I don't usually unless I plan to run, and I didn't do my usual mechanical inspection that is a must to run the boat". I really never carry a bunch of fuel unless were going somewhere because the marina cant lift the boat out with more than a quarter tank, and that isn't fuel you want to run on. That makes my ride policy easy. Midnight

Old 07-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Organdonor

Thumbs up

This is a great thread as some have said all of us at one point or another have had a ride on another persons boat no matter how glamorous or exotic that boat was it got you interested in Offshore performance boating. Usually a friend or friend of a friend has taken you out and you felt the desire to pursue performance boating.

Here is an example I would never have the nerve to ask a complete stranger if I could have a ride in his Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or lotus. Why not because it is rude, however I may approach the owner and tell them how much I like their car. If the owner then showed interested in talking more about the car or showing me the car up close, I would continue the conversation. I still would not expect a ride, but I would show enough interest that it would be apparent that I would appreciate one.

That is the true behavior of someone who respects the owner of the vehicle and is not just looking for a free ride. I would like to think that nobody on OSO is so full of themselves, there boat, or friends that they could not or would not extend a ride for someone who is a true admirer of performance boating. Now that obviously means all conditions must be right for you and your boat to be able to extend this gratuity. As a performance boat owner you set the tone to the general public about the rest of us performance boaters, we are a minority so think before you act.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Eric1969

I am glad other boaters are encouraging and amiable about their boats. With that being said, can I have a ride in someone's "water baby"!! If you give me a ride in yours, I'll take you for a ride in my Four Winns. Ya'll think your boats give thrilling rides, try mine on a nice busy weekend.

Old 07-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Cool

Organdonor, you are correct in everything you said. But theres always the judgement call when talking with people. In the case stated in the original question.....(wet hillbilly with construction boots on)....thats the call i make to say no. I guess what i'm trying to say here is that there is a difference between a sincere admirer and just someone who's looking to get a free ride anyway they can. I too have no problems giving people rides as long as i know they will appreciate it. And not just hop on and take advantage of a situation!
If someone comes up to me and the first words are..."Hey nice boat can i have a ride?"......uh no! why would i waste gas on you? But on the other hand if someone comes up to me and starts chit chatting..asking questions and shows a real interest in boating, then i love going out for runs! And i wont even accept money cause i'm having just as much fun as the passenger next to me! I guess its all in how people come across when you first meet them.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Organdonor

Wally

When I said "Now that obviously means all conditions must be right for you and your boat to be able to extend this gratuity. " I meant that you don’t take people out when it is an inconvenience to you, your crew, or liability to them either. We all know the types of people when you look at them the first thing you think is there is no way in hell I am going taking you on my boat for a ride. I wouldn’t take them either but then again that person is not going to be the type I described in my example (as seen above in my previous post) either.

Last edited by Organdonor; 07-30-2002 at 05:05 PM.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

after reading the last paragraph again i believe your right! Oh well.....i guess i had better slow down and think things through before opening my keyboard! LOL!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Quick Reply: Can I have a ride in your boat? What do you say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.