Notices

Tipping Ettiquette

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
We have a local guy here that I assume is homeless, but hangs out at the ramp and is actually really good with helping to launch boats.
Man, that would be great for the times when I want to go out with just the wife and kid.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Always Tip. Only acceptation would be crappy service. And by Crappy, I don't mean waiting a long time for the boats ahead of you. I mean bad attitude, etc. I see lots of guys at the Docks get pissed and not tip because it takes to long to get fuel, but the 48 MTI that coasted in empty ahead of him is gonna take a bit to fill. Chill out! Whats the hurry! Love life..
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Man, that would be great for the times when I want to go out with just the wife and kid.
Yup,

I never hesitate to head to the ramp alone.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see you pull up to the gas dock, get 100 gallons of fuel maybe some ice and beer. So your bill is $500 or so whats an extra $5-20 for the people who helped you out. Especially if they are nice kidz which I find most of them are. Stayed at Lake McConahay (sp?) in NE and kept the boat at a place where they would let your park your boat and trailer in a field up away from the lake and then they would launch your boat with a tractor. Much easier for a big boat than using the nearby ramp. Tipped them every launch and retrieve, they also let me GF ride on the tractor which paid off for me big time.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

At LOTO, I usually tip 2 or 3 bucks for tie up help at a restaurant or bar. I usually just tip when I get there, not when I leave. We typically only put in a couple of hundred at a time worth of fuel, and I usually tip the dock attendant 5 bucks. At LOTO, I do not ever recalling not tipping due to attitude, as I guess that I have not really seen a bad one at the docks.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I put this same question on a smaller boating forum about 5 years ago and most said not to tip. I always felt bad when I didn't tip though. My boat is 22' and holds 55 gallons and is not difficult to dock. So is 5 bucks good for the gas attendant and dock worker each?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tip every place. Gas dock, yacht club, restaurant, etc. when I pull up those kids bend over backwards to help. It's a nice feeling especially with my wife and daughter on board.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Yup,

We have a local guy here that I assume is homeless, but hangs out at the ramp and is actually really good with helping to launch boats, I usually throw him a five each time. Last weekend when the ramp was overcrowded due to Memorial day traffic, he made damn sure I didnt wait too long to get my boat back on the trailer as others were fighting to get in(only a 2 lane ramp ramp with single dock). I am sure if I had stiffed him in the past I woulda waited much longer. He recognizes my boat, and other boats that frequently launch with me, helps that he loves performance boats.
Delray VFW looking dude?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started my first job working on a gas dock in 2003. Throughout high school and college, that was my only income. From April-October I pumped gas all day, five days a week for 8 years. I have seen just about everything on the gas dock. Boats blowing up, people crashing their boats, drunks getting arrested, etc...

When it comes to tipping, it depends on what service the customer needs...

If they come in for dinner/shopping/drinking and are only there to dock, I always help them tie up.
Most people tip around $5 when I help them tie up. As they are leaving and I help to untie them, they do not tip any more. Other people tip $2-3 on the way in if I help, and then $2-3 on the way out if I help. Sometimes it's $5 both ways. Or $20... it just depends on the person.

If a customer comes in for fuel, I always help them tie up. Where I worked at LOTO, the customer was not allowed to pump their own fuel when a dock attendant was available.
A fuel sale of $50-100 (pontoon, sea-doo, runnabout) would usually tip $5-10.
$100-500 would usually be a $20.
$500+ would be anywhere from $20+ but usually no more than $100.

If a guest came in for a pump-out they would usually tip an extra $20.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tipping for sure. Although...my local fuel dock is the owner/operator type operation. How do you deal with that? I realized I have never tipped him even though he helps tie up, he brings the nozzle over but you pump. I really love the concept of tipping hired help but owners?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.